Author Topic: Romance Bassoon Violin Cello  (Read 974 times)

mjf1947

• Administrator
Romance Bassoon Violin Cello
« on: December 21, 2019, 09:43:05 AM »
Okay people ..... Here's the 99% finished version.

The form is ABCBA.

All comments/suggestions/ whatever  :o ..... appreciated.

Hope you find the work appealing.

Mark

PS: It tells a story .............

Patrick O'Keefe

Re: Romance Bassoon Violin Cello
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2019, 05:16:21 PM »
Very nice. 

I hear this more as separate movements (with nearly identical material in some of the movements) rather than a single ABCBA movement, but that doesn't change anything.  I also hear more than A, B, and C sections.  I may get curious enough to print out the score and mark it up to see what I'm hearing as sections that don't exist.  But it doesn't really matter if I hear it the way you intended; I still like it.

One notational point:  I've been told that a pizz. 8th note (followed by an 8th rest) and a pizz. quarter note will be played the same, and it's easier to read a series of quarter notes.  (That might not be the case if you definitely want the string to be dampened during the rest, but I suspect that has some special notation.)

I've been told the same thing holds for staccato winds, but you know better than I if that's the case.  Do you tongue a staccato 8th followed by a rest differently from a staccato quarter note?  (If so, I've got a lot of rewriting to do.  :(  )

Some people may be good at hearing stories in music, but I'm not one of them.  I have trouble associating musical and  non-musical subject matter.  (I cannot write programmatic music.)  If there is a story behind the music, could you slip me a summary so I'm not left behind?

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2019, 06:25:02 PM »
Very nice. 

I hear this more as separate movements (with nearly identical material in some of the movements) rather than a single ABCBA movement, but that doesn't change anything.  I also hear more than A, B, and C sections.  I may get curious enough to print out the score and mark it up to see what I'm hearing as sections that don't exist.  But it doesn't really matter if I hear it the way you intended; I still like it.

One notational point:  I've been told that a pizz. 8th note (followed by an 8th rest) and a pizz. quarter note will be played the same, and it's easier to read a series of quarter notes.  (That might not be the case if you definitely want the string to be dampened during the rest, but I suspect that has some special notation.)

I've been told the same thing holds for staccato winds, but you know better than I if that's the case.  Do you tongue a staccato 8th followed by a rest differently from a staccato quarter note?  (If so, I've got a lot of rewriting to do.  :(  )

Some people may be good at hearing stories in music, but I'm not one of them.  I have trouble associating musical and  non-musical subject matter.  (I cannot write programmatic music.)  If there is a story behind the music, could you slip me a summary so I'm not left behind?

As a woodwind player I would play the staccato 8th short and quick .... the staccato quarter note with a bit more core sound; however, it would really depends upon the musical context and musical period: Classical, Baroque, Romantic etc.

The air stream offers lots of possibilities in the initiation of the sound, the manipulation of the sound (vibrato) and how you then let go of the sound;  similar I guess to a pianists touch/release and a string players bow tension and finger pressure on the string.

Thanks for the review .......  I think the different time signatures ... more clearly define each section.

The story is a romance .... an interplay.  One needs to let the imagination flow with the musical mood to set the scene .... with lots of yearning/longing - playfulness and some intervening tension/struggle and with a happy resolve.

And of course ..... I am always interested in improving the work.

Mark
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 06:28:50 PM by mjf1947 »

Jerry Engelbach

• Engelbach Music
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2019, 10:04:09 AM »
Mark,

It's really great.

The places where I can't hear the violin counterpoint are bars 7, 36, 141, and 158-159.

Whether thatís because of the software program or an actual imbalance in the instruments I canít tell.

To me itís one of the best things Iíve heard from you.

Cheers,

Jer
Finale 26
NP3, GPO 5, JABB 3
iMac Mojave

sandalwood

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2019, 02:58:54 PM »
I enjoyed listening to this work. It sounds engaging and expressive to my ears. I feel there might be some room for improvement in the transitions between the sections. All in all very nice, imo. :)

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2019, 03:09:40 PM »
Mark,

It's really great.

The places where I can't hear the violin counterpoint are bars 7, 36, 141, and 158-159.

Whether thatís because of the software program or an actual imbalance in the instruments I canít tell.

To me itís one of the best things Iíve heard from you.

Cheers,

Jer

I am so very pleased to see the work as my growth as a composer.

Thanks as always for the helpful feedback and encouragement.

Mark

PS: I will review those indicated measures.

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2019, 03:10:47 PM »
I enjoyed listening to this work. It sounds engaging and expressive to my ears. I feel there might be some room for improvement in the transitions between the sections. All in all very nice, imo. :)

Thank you for the listen .... I will look at all  the transition once more.

I am glad you enjoyed the work.

Mark

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2019, 04:35:11 PM »
Mark,

It's really great.

It's the program ..... it's putting in diminuendos ..... even when I adjust the mixer.

I'll have to fuss with it a bit.

Mark

Jerry Engelbach

• Engelbach Music
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2019, 10:46:37 AM »
Just curious: what's your setup ó platform, program, sound set?

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
NP3, GPO 5, JABB 3
iMac Mojave

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2019, 01:08:15 PM »
Just curious: what's your setup ó platform, program, sound set?

Cheers,
Jer

Win 10, Finale 2014.5 standard sound blaster sound card. 

Mark

Jerry Engelbach

• Engelbach Music
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2019, 10:44:53 AM »
Thanks.

Are you using Garritan instruments?

I'm much happier since I upgraded to Finale 26 and Note Performer.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
NP3, GPO 5, JABB 3
iMac Mojave

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2019, 01:16:13 PM »
Yes.... and I am thinking of upgrading finale and the library too.

Mark