Author Topic: Pixies at Play - Doublereed Quartet  (Read 742 times)

mjf1947

• Administrator
Pixies at Play - Doublereed Quartet
« on: December 08, 2019, 07:20:39 AM »
Okay -   closing in on the ending now.

I did some editing ... removed one section and ad a new one at the conclusion.

All comments appreciated.  Don't be bashful.  :-*  The objective here is to improve~!

Hope you enjoy the work

Mark

https://app.box.com/s/e6ax8mbclp0hr863q3t7043qi9du8j1h   mp3
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 07:22:58 AM by mjf1947 »

Patrick O'Keefe

Re: Pixies at Play - Doublereed Quartet
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 02:44:04 PM »
Hoo, boy!.  Ignore my comments on the "In progress" sub-forum.  I hadn't noticed you had moved over here.  The changes you made are spot on.  The piece now works incredibly well.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 02:55:57 PM by Patrick O'Keefe »

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2019, 02:47:47 PM »
Hey Patrick ...... you made my day~!  ;D

I hope you got a bit of a laugh from it too.

It was great fun doing it.

Mark

perpetuo studens

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2019, 05:26:56 PM »
Lovely Mark. Delightful and playful. Really interesting rhythms. And yes, I did get the joke at the end. :) I remember inserting exactly this phraselet into a rock solo in some bar (in northern Ontario I think) and watching my fellow bandmates laugh out loud and struggle to get themselves together so we could play the rest of the song.

As for suggestions (which I make hesitatingly and about which I urge extreme caution :)) the only thing that comes to mind is that I wished a couple of times that you had moved away from G to a new key centre. The full stops between sections (where they occur) are perfect opportunities, I think. But for this to be even potentially valid and useful I would have to fully understand what you wanted to accomplish here, and I can barely do that with my own work. :) So caveat emptor.

But all in all lots of fun and surprises. A really neat piece.

Jamie
The perceived object...is not a sum of elements to be distinguished from each other and analyzed discretely, but a pattern, that is to say a form, a structure: the element's existence does not precede the existence of the whole, it comes neither before nor after it, for the parts do not determine the pattern, but the pattern determines the parts: knowledge of the pattern and of its laws, of the set and its structure, could not possibly be derived from discrete knowledge of the elements that compose it.

That means that you can look at a piece of a puzzle for three whole days, you can believe that you know all there is to know about its colouring and its shape, and be no further ahead than when you started. The only thing that counts is the ability to link this piece to other pieces...

Georges Perec - Life: A User's Manual

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2019, 07:14:09 PM »
Jamie thanks for the review.

Yes.....I know that work is centered in G.  Although in the Around the Mulberry Bush section I do go to C Major for a short while.

Please note though ... that although in G .... I do insert an extra whole step in the scale to create a slightly different feel.  And some of the scales are more modal.

So yes .... there is the possibility of modulations ..... something I may need to consider; including a bit more variation in the repeat sections.

I am so pleased to enjoyed the work.  As I said previously ..... it was fun~!

Mark