Author Topic: Pixies at Play - Doublereed Quartet  (Read 191 times)

mjf1947

• Administrator
Pixies at Play - Doublereed Quartet
« on: November 29, 2019, 04:33:12 PM »
Here's my new project.

It is still under construction; however, I wanted to share a bit with you.

More to come (At lest one or two more variations). - I hope you get the it.  ;)  ;D  :angel: 

Mark

Suggestions/Comments .... good wishes always welcome.  :)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 04:42:25 PM by mjf1947 »

Jerry Engelbach

Re: Pixies at Play - Doublereed Quartet
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2019, 06:32:55 AM »
Mark,

The syncopation and displaced accents really had me spinning. The interplay among the instruments is cleverly plotted.

The result has a feeling of mischievousness that well illustrates the title. Those devilish little rascals.

I like the way you interrupted the flow with on-the-beat sections as contrast, and then plunged back into the strange rhythms.

On first hearing I thought perhaps that the harmony was too much the same. But on re-listening a couple of times I found myself pulled in more by the structure, so I don't know if expanding the harmony would enhance it or detract from its main idea.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
NP3
GPO 5
JABB 3
iMac Mojave

francoisfj

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2019, 06:33:51 AM »
Nice variations. I liked the oboe legato against the staccato in the bass. It has a nice joyful mood to it, and it describes the theme of the title well :)

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2019, 08:24:07 AM »
Mark,

The syncopation and displaced accents really had me spinning. The interplay among the instruments is cleverly plotted.

The result has a feeling of mischievousness that well illustrates the title. Those devilish little rascals.

I like the way you interrupted the flow with on-the-beat sections as contrast, and then plunged back into the strange rhythms.

On first hearing I thought perhaps that the harmony was too much the same. But on re-listening a couple of times I found myself pulled in more by the structure, so I don't know if expanding the harmony would enhance it or detract from its main idea.

Cheers,
Jer

Jer,

As always thanks for the review. 

This is the initial writing of the work with a few minor changes along the way.  The introduction "mood" was written in 2014 .... I rediscovered it and then added the rest. 

I am not sure as yet ... however, I am considering creating bit more variations in the recurrent theme and maybe some modulations?

It gave me great pleasure playing along with the song's ..... not easy for sure. 

I think I will add one more song and then contemplate an appropriate ending   :-X - for those little rascals. 

Mark

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2019, 08:25:17 AM »
Nice variations. I liked the oboe legato against the staccato in the bass. It has a nice joyful mood to it, and it describes the theme of the title well :)

Thanks for the listen .... ~!

Mark

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2019, 10:44:52 AM »
For those following this thread ... this is the first finished complete draft.

Please note I am still working on the piece ... and the ending is still under review.

I added one more children's song/variation still under construction.

Comments/Suggestions/ .......appreciated.

I enjoyed doing this composition.

Mark

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2019, 12:08:10 PM »
I think it works pretty well. I like that little skipping thing just before the end.

A few ideas come to mind.

The whole thing seems to be up high. Could some of it be pitched lower, to get more out of the nice low notes in the C.A. and bassoon and provide more contrast? The contrast might add more humor as well.

Another is tempo. I wonder if the fast tempos could be even faster. You know, a little insanity.

And perhaps more emphasis when one song slides into the next. Maybe sometimes with a dead stop, pause, and resumption; sometimes with a ritard and then a tempo; and sometimes with a strong jump to a wildly new tempo.

In all, a really enjoyable work.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
NP3
GPO 5
JABB 3
iMac Mojave

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2019, 01:02:25 PM »
I think it works pretty well. I like that little skipping thing just before the end.

A few ideas come to mind.

The whole thing seems to be up high. Could some of it be pitched lower, to get more out of the nice low notes in the C.A. and bassoon and provide more contrast? The contrast might add more humor as well.

Another is tempo. I wonder if the fast tempos could be even faster. You know, a little insanity.

And perhaps more emphasis when one song slides into the next. Maybe sometimes with a dead stop, pause, and resumption; sometimes with a ritard and then a tempo; and sometimes with a strong jump to a wildly new tempo.

In all, a really enjoyable work.

Cheers,
Jer

Great suggestions! 

As always thanks for the review!

Pleased you enjoyed the work.  ;D

Mark

sandalwood

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2019, 01:45:30 PM »
Mark, first my admiration for your incessant industry and inspiration always from one piece to the next. About this piece, I strongly agree with Jer. It might help to have the phrases more emphatically articulated and to let them more comfortably breathe. Also agree with his advice about more marked and discernable ups and downs.

Look forward to hearing where this nice start goes.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 01:55:46 PM by sandalwood »

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2019, 01:30:36 PM »
Okay ... for those kind minded individuals following this thread ..... here's a first complete version .....

I incorporated some of the suggestions made ... and improved upon the final children's song variation.

Hope you enjoy the Pixies running about~!  :o

Mark

All comments seriously considered.  ;D

I still need to play a bit with the dynamics...........fro better contrast.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 02:29:56 PM by mjf1947 »

Patrick O'Keefe

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2019, 02:14:16 PM »
I'm just getting back to the forum so I've given this only a couple quick listens and looks.

It's a very interesting concept.  I like it.  I did have some problem with the transitions between the different sections, though - perhaps because of the limited variation in timbre.  Jerry mentioned the possibility of dead stops and/or emphasis in the different ranges of the instruments.  Maybe some differences in articulation or (as you mentioned) dynamics.

By the way, these are the same questions I'm asking myself in a piece I'm writing.  I, too, am having problems with transitions - maybe I'm projecting my own problems onto your work.    :(

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2019, 02:41:59 PM »
Thanks for the review....  ;D

Please review the newer post .... in the Junior completed section.

Mark