Author Topic: String Quartet  (Read 2192 times)

mjf1947

• Administrator
Re: String Quartet
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2019, 01:17:56 PM »
Jer,

Very enjoyable ..... lots of energy and diversity in the work as well as drama!

Good luck on your submission to the jury.

Mark

sandalwood

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2019, 12:23:38 AM »
Yes,really enjoyable, it sounds like the story of a fun journey to me with plenty of bells and whistles. It further sounds tight and well-finished and makes sense to me throughout. Melodies, harmony, rhythms etc all support the narrative, to my ears, at every moment. The departure and arrival are more dreamy and wandering but are still tight and fun, imo.  You must've had quite some time with the bowings and fingerings!

Best wishes again.

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • M.Mus (composition) Finale 26, NP3, GPO5
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2019, 02:00:33 AM »
a quick comment: starting at measure 38, you can't slur a bunch of repeated notes like that. so remove that phrase marking.
remember that in string writing a phrase marking has a VERY different meaning than in woodwind writing.

At E, in the viola, I presume you mean beats 2-4 to be a trill/tremolo. if that's the case, then you must break the beam from the half note stems. I WOULD advise against writing it that way though. instead, write beat 2 as tremolo, then beats 3 and 4 together as a half note tremolo.

the thing is, are you writing that as a short-hand for all 8th notes? if so, don't. write out ALL the 8th notes.
if it's unmeasured, then write a trill instead.

the slurs starting at E in the cello are way too long. those are impossible to play. again, remember that a slur/phrase marking in string writing does NOT mean "phrase this music together". It means "play this in one bow stroke".
I'd instead suggest writing "sustenuto" and slur the notes 4 by 4.

Go over all those slurs. if there are any repeated notes within a slur, then you must break the slur. If you have more than one measure under a slur, I'd recommend breaking that into more manageable chunks.

A good rule of thumb is that the louder the dynamics, the fewer notes you can fit into one bow stroke.

If possible, try to restrict slurs to one measure or fewer, unless the tempo is relatively fast, or the dynamic very soft.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • M.Mus (composition) Finale 26, NP3, GPO5
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2019, 02:07:25 AM »
when you start going over your accidentals, try and avoid flats (string players tend not to like playing passages in flats because it alters the fingering in odd ways). At 53 in violin 1, the Cb should be a B natural.

avoid augmented 2nds. for example, measure 54 in violin 1. that Dd should be a C#.

sometimes, because of the harmonic language you can't avoid writing passages that contain slightly awkward enharmonics, but still, try to at least remove those that are not awkward.

so at measure 64, make that Ab a G#. it will be a more logical progression for the viola, and easier to read. It will also avoid those dreadful flats  ;)

I presume you haven't gone through the score yet for collisions and whatnot, don't forget those... especially hairpins colliding with dynamics.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

Jerry Engelbach

• Engelbach Music
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2019, 06:14:05 AM »
Thank you Mark and Reha. Your input is much appreciated.

Thank you again, Michel. You're helping me to avoid many faux pas.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
NP3, GPO 5, JABB 3
iMac Mojave

Patrick O'Keefe

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2019, 02:34:34 PM »
Does anything happen now, or do you just hold your breath until February?

Jerry Engelbach

• Engelbach Music
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2019, 05:49:26 AM »
Does anything happen now, or do you just hold your breath until February?
Patrick,

They don’t acknowledge anyone except the sixteen finalists, so I’d probably turn blue if I held my breath.

Anyway, entering the competition against so many good composers was a lark, so I don’t expect to make the cut.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
NP3, GPO 5, JABB 3
iMac Mojave

smartysocks

• Mr Mark
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2020, 06:57:50 AM »
Hey Jer

Totally dug the piece and how you revised it. I am remiss  this morning to articulate why I like your revisions, but I do.

I hope it goes well at the competition. Keep us in the loop.

Curious, because it is a competetion,  I am sure peoples' sounds are being processed after the fact, and am curious if your work judged solely by the playback? Or is it the written work as well? If it is soley playback, what playback program do you use?

I use NOTION and like it because it allows me to tweak the dynamics of the parts, add effects if I wish, and randomize some of the note values making it sound more human. However, I was listening to Mark's " Parade of the Vagabonds " the other day and was impressed by Noteperformer. It really adds to Finale or Sibelius.  Are you familiar with it?

Like always, Thanks for sharing, and best of Luck in the competition.

Mark

Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets; art deserves that, for it and knowledge can raise man to the Divine.

Ludwig van Beethoven

Jerry Engelbach

• Engelbach Music
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2020, 08:42:39 AM »
Hi Mark,

Sorry to take a while to respond. Thanks much for your comments.

No, I didn't make the finals. They choose only 16 finalists out of hundreds of entries. But I enjoyed working on the piece. I learned a lot. I like to work with deadlines and with restraints such as length.

I don't know how they judge. They don't say. Perhaps they use the sound file to screen the entires on the first pass, and use the scores of the remaining pieces to evaluate playability.

I'm running Finale with Note Performer 3 on a Mac.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
NP3, GPO 5, JABB 3
iMac Mojave

smartysocks

• Mr Mark
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2020, 01:30:43 PM »
Hey Jer,

Sorry you didn't make the finals, but doing the work is like money in the bank ! It will pay off.

I am sort of the same..... I sometimes need a gun to head, in the form of a deadline, in order to make the final push  to finish a piece. Show dates and rehearsal schedules definitely do it for me. Also I need limitations in order to create else I am only spinning my wheels.

Right now Note performer does not work with Notion, the program I use, and it may never. So for now I guess I will stick with Notion.

Again thanks for sharing I guess now you have time to work on a piece for next year's competiton !!!

Ciao for now,

Mark aka Mr Mark
Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets; art deserves that, for it and knowledge can raise man to the Divine.

Ludwig van Beethoven