Author Topic: Bagatelles !  (Read 928 times)

smartysocks

• Mr Mark
Bagatelles !
« on: September 20, 2019, 01:07:06 PM »
Hi All,

I have an 85 year old neighbour who plays piano in the window of her living room. She is a wonderful person and always looking for "new stuff" to play. Seeing as I do not play piano and need to learn more about the instrument, and also the fact that may neighbour is an incredibly nice lady, I thought i should  challenge myself and write her three bagatelles for fun.

I did not spend any time on form as of yet, I limited the tunes to just a simple ABA form.

Like i said I do not play the piano so I do not know what is easy, what is difficult and sometimes what is possible.

If you have any feedback i would love to hear from you . 

Thanks for listening ,

Mark
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 09:18:51 AM by smartysocks »
Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets; art deserves that, for it and knowledge can raise man to the Divine.

Ludwig van Beethoven

smartysocks

• Mr Mark
Re: Bagatelles !
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2019, 01:08:01 PM »
here is the third one.....
Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets; art deserves that, for it and knowledge can raise man to the Divine.

Ludwig van Beethoven

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2019, 01:54:54 PM »
Hi ... a charming work in early classical style.   Bagatelle 1

In measures 5 and 6 maybe different chord inversions with offer more nuance than the triads.

Lovely romantic melody ....  Bagatelle 2 flows nicely and holds your interest.  Nice changes in mood as it moves along.

Bagatelle moving up to the romantic/impressionistic era (Satie) ...... once again a intriguing miniature. 

You definitely have a style~!

All quite enjoyable.

Mark

Isn't it a pleasure when simple clear lines say so much........................... :angel:

Me thinks your neighbor will be quite flattered.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 09:24:53 AM by mjf1947 »

williamhu

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2019, 03:50:29 AM »
Hi Mark,

These are lovely and pleasant pieces of music. As a pianist myself I can say that these are all very approachable to play and I am sure Jane will appreciate them very much :)

A small thing on notation - in bagatelle 3, bar 6, I would recommend rewriting the tied rhythm as:
semiquaver semiquaver-(tie)-dottedquaver semiquaver
As this is the formally 'correct' way of splitting the rhythm and is easier to read.

Thanks for sharing!
Will

sandalwood

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2019, 07:49:18 AM »
Very heartwarming story behind these pieces and pieces themselves are charming and lovable. Neat and pleasant melodic lines, I enjoyed listening to them. Thanks for posting them, Mr Mark!

Reha

smartysocks

• Mr Mark
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2019, 03:29:06 PM »
Sorry it took so long to respond the website didn't notify me. ( i probably forgot to tell it to do that !)

Thank you all for listening and for your feedback. I am a drummer and this whole world of composition fascinates and challenges me. Harmony and melody are all new to me,  but they are turning out to be so much fun !

My neighbour has them and was tickled pink.

Once again thank you for the feedback, I will revisit these and try to build on them.

Mark

Ludwig van Beethoven

EdSharpe

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2020, 10:49:25 PM »
Sorry of the late reply to these pieces, I meant to reply last October, but life seems to have gotten in the way.
Bagatelle #1
Personally  I  try to avoid using repeats, instead altering the repeat of the material, even if just a few minor changes.  However in this case I think the repeats are call for given your goal for music and likely a desire to keep the piece to single page.
As Mark pointed out using  inversions of the chords in bars 5-7 would provide varied color.  In fact if my be sol bold you could even create a descending line  with the chords, just GC for the first chord (E is in the right hand). The FAD (Dminor in First inversion), EGB, CFA, BDG.  But this just an idea or example.   But over all very nice and I think I meets its goals.

Bagatelle #3
This was my favorite of the three pieces.  Some notation issues.  The only thing I though was                                                                           the to use a rit in the penultimate bar and remove the fermata  on the F in the right hand.

I hope you continue with these a write a few more bagatelle for your friend.

EWS

Jerry Engelbach

• Engelbach Music
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2020, 09:17:12 AM »
Mark,

Somehow I missed your posting of these last September.

I like the straight-forward melodies.

You might look for more contrary motion between melody and harmony. For just a couple of examples, in no. 2, bars 24-27, you have Dm - F - E - Am. The Dm could move down to Bm7b5, then to E7 and finally Am. Similarly, in no. 3, bars 25-27, everything is moving in the same direction.

Here's a slight variation on EdSharpe's suggestion for no. 1, bars 5-8: || G C - F A D ||  E Bb C - F A C || D G B - B F B || C E C ||

If you're trying to write with more or less conventional harmony, watch for proper voice leading. The 3 of a dominant should resolve to the 1 of the tonic, the 7 of the dominant should resolve to the 3 of the tonic. Pianists like to feel the harmony resolve with close movement of the fingers.

It's gratifying that your neighbor likes them.

Cheers,
Jer
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 09:41:10 AM by Jerry Engelbach »
Finale 26
NP3, GPO 5, JABB 3
iMac Mojave

smartysocks

• Mr Mark
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2020, 01:37:47 PM »
Hey Ed and Jer,

Thanks for your feedback. I plan on incorporating some of these ideas. I have a deadline this week but may get to take a look next week.

As a drummer, this harmony stuff..... well let's just say it's an uphill climb !

However since posting these pieces I have started taking piano lessons and am enjoying the pursuit of a new skill. I am curious to see how it will effect my compositional ideas.

Thanks again,

Mark aka Mr Mark

Ludwig van Beethoven

Jerry Engelbach

• Engelbach Music
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2020, 03:15:15 PM »
Mr. Mark,

I think the most important thing is harmonic theory. If you're going to use conventional harmony, dominant-tonic relationships is where it's at.

There are other ways to write, of course, such as modally, atonally, pantonally, winging it by ear. But whenever there's an implied dominant-tonic cadence, even if unintentionally, the ear expects to hear it either resolved or fooled by a clear evasion of it.

Cheers,
Jer

Finale 26
NP3, GPO 5, JABB 3
iMac Mojave