Author Topic: Members Participation  (Read 2842 times)

mjf1947

• Administrator
Members Participation
« on: November 13, 2019, 12:54:46 PM »
Hi to all forum members.

It is such a delight to see the wonderful member discussions on our postings.

I for one appreciate the motivation it provides for me to improve my work.

Please continue to share your thoughts on the postings.

At times there is a lull in the conversation;  when this occurs, I am always fearful that the forum will become a vanity board with no
comments.

Therefore I encourage all members to please eagerly engage your fellow forum members and share your thoughts.

Now the discussion may be as a simple as a feeling, or an engraving correction or something more technical or just some good old fashion support.

Now don't be shy we need to hear from all of you to ensure the forum is more than a posting board.

Administrator
(Mark)

Jerry Engelbach

Re: Members Participation
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2019, 03:42:16 AM »
Thanks, Mark.

I enjoy hearing people’s work and commenting on it.

It’s not blind altruism. I’m hoping that they’ll give me helpful criticism and advice as well.

Your tactful post encouraging participation is most welcome.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
NP3, GPO 5, JABB 3
iMac Mojave

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 09:38:27 AM »
Hi all .............

Many members do indeed log in everyday and peruse the forums postings.

I encourage all those that do so - to please participate with the on going discussions.

We want to hear from you all!

Admin

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 07:40:54 AM »
Hi all

I am writing to you and others - once more - to encourage you to participate in the forum discussions.

It is vital to the success of the forum to have input from our members.

All comments respectfully presented whether technical or emotive are encouraged and welcome.

Admin

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2020, 11:17:03 AM »
Hi all .... everyday I look at the numbers viewing the board.

So many "viewers" .... in comparison to ....."posters".

Once again I encourage all to participate.

If there are any reasons/concerns that inhibit your participation - please let us know!

All comments respectfully shared are most welcome. 

Admin

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2020, 07:36:33 AM »
I encourage all new members - not to be shy - and comment on works posted.

If you post and receive comments ... please be considerate and take a moment to do so for other member's postings.

Keep the discussion going ......................

Admin

RJB54

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2020, 09:50:54 AM »
Hi all.

I just wanted to apologize for being so absent of late.

There are several reasons for that.

First, as I've said multiple times in other threads, I am still working which takes up a big chunk of time. Also, until the virus lockdown, I was spending up to, typically, 2 1/2 hours a day commuting having to drive my SO to her work then driving to my work and at the end of the day driving to her work again to pick her up and then driving home. As one can expect, that is all very exhausting. The end result is that I didn't have a lot of free time.

Second, what little free time I have had for most of the last year has been spent on a piece I have been working on (a string quartet) which has been obsessing me.

I don't know if anyone else gets into this kind of mode, but all I could think about has been this piece. I couldn't process anything else. If I tried to listen to any other music by anybody after a few seconds or minutes I would be driven to stop listening and instead have to go back to work on the quartet. This even included my own in progress pieces.

Third, just as I was nearing the end of the work on the quartet, Jerry posted his Call For Scores thread. Since this is the first composition contest I've ever come across where I meet the entry criteria, I decided to enter. So, just as I was putting the finishing touches on the quartet, this contest came along with a, for me, very short deadline for submission. Therefore, I had to allocate all of my minimal free (non-work, non-commuting, non-yardwork) time to revising two of my older pieces (whose revisions I had never gotten around to) since you can submit up to three pieces to this contest.

The end result of all of this is that I have not been around much. That will be changing shortly.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 09:53:27 AM by RJB54 »
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2020, 04:15:07 PM »
Robert,

I apologize profusely for drawing you into the call for scores ...  :-\

But this now gives us two of your pieces to look forward avidly to hearing, that and the quartet.

Best of luck!

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
NP3, GPO 5, JABB 3
iMac Mojave

RJB54

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2020, 05:27:49 PM »
Thanks, they will be appearing soon.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2020, 07:33:17 PM »
Hi everyone.

It is a pleasure to see people participating on the forum and sharing their thoughts - feelings and opinions.

Please remember all respectful comments are appreciated so please do share.

For all those that post and receive feedback - please be courteous and mindful to do the same for other people's postings.

In this current time filled with angst - the forum is a bright spot. 

We look forward to all your creative endeavors and insights.

Admin

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • M.Mus (composition) Finale 26, NP3, GPO5
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2020, 07:18:53 PM »
I'm still not impressed with the level of involvement of some of our newer members. I'm still seeing a few people who ONLY have commented (in their commenting history) on their own posts.

it makes it difficult for people like myself to feel any sort of involvement here and to want to share our knowledge and experience with other members.

I took a short break for my sanity. And I've been busy.
But I return to pretty much the same situation as when I left.
I notice the same handful of members who are trying their best and commenting left right and centre, but I'm not seeing any sort of new involvement from other posters.

It's difficult to explain, but when I comment on your music it really takes me away from my own work in a major way.
I have to become "personally involved" when looking at your piece, and look at it almost as something that I've written. This is the only way I can objectively find qualities or faults that could be rectified.
But because I look at your music that way, I also have to tune my brain into a completely different esthetic, one that is not mine.
And when I tune my brain to someone else's esthetic, well, it takes time for me to get back into my own groove.

I suspect there are a number of senior posters who are in more or less the same situation as I am.
So when we comment, we really are giving generously of our time and energy.
And we are giving up a bit of our own "me time" to do so.
Also, remember that the advice and comments you're getting are free. Don't abuse it.
And pay it back.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

SallyS

• “Without music, life would be a mistake”
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2020, 01:25:55 AM »
I wholeheartedly agree with Mark and Michel. As a new member myself it has become obvious, very quickly, that there is a lack of feedback from a lot of members who could perhaps just say a few words about someone else's composition. There's also few comments in the discussion threads except from the handful who comment all the time and give up their precious time to help others. Perhaps we need to ask why? Is it selfishness, or is there something else stopping them from being a part of the community? I have very much appreciated the discussions and feedback so far, but must say that I've been disappointed that this has only come from a handful of members.

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2020, 08:10:32 AM »

It's difficult to explain, but when I comment on your music it really takes me away from my own work in a major way.
I have to become "personally involved" when looking at your piece, and look at it almost as something that I've written. This is the only way I can objectively find qualities or faults that could be rectified.
But because I look at your music that way, I also have to tune my brain into a completely different esthetic, one that is not mine.
And when I tune my brain to someone else's esthetic, well, it takes time for me to get back into my own groove.

I find this very interesting ...... and I do appreciate how commenting on other works moves you into a different groove and you then you need to refocus on your own work.

I myself find it difficult at times to practice Oboe/make reeds and compose on the same day. Both require my upmost attention.  It is indeed not so easy to switch my energy about so easily.

So what ever you can share while working on your own projects is even more appreciated~!

Mark

« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 08:15:32 AM by mjf1947 »

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2020, 03:31:28 PM »
I'm not a prolific composer. It takes me a long time to start a project.

Listening to other people's work often gives me an impulse to get on with it.

I'm not always good at putting myself in the mindset of another composer, except when I'm in complete awe of their accomplishment. When I comment on someone's work I'm often thinking, "How would I do this piece?" This may come off at times as either naive or overly critical.

Before I joined this forum the only musicians I had regular contact with were jazz players. Late in life this forum has afforded me the pleasure of new, stimulating interactions.

I explored a couple of other classical composer sites. I found gushing approval there for everything, rather than helpful critique. This forum has a smaller membership, but its interactions are honest, and thus more rewarding.

Cheers,
Jer

Finale 26
NP3, GPO 5, JABB 3
iMac Mojave

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • M.Mus (composition) Finale 26, NP3, GPO5
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2020, 03:51:40 PM »
Jer,
you've been a steadfast commentor here, with regular input and good comments.
whether your comments might appear to be naive or otherwise, what matter is that you participate, and you gain, and OTHERS gain from your participation.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"