Author Topic: Glockenspiel and triangle scored together?  (Read 97 times)

gogreen

• Art on Facebook
Glockenspiel and triangle scored together?
« on: November 04, 2019, 02:46:12 PM »
I'm in a quandary about this. In one of my concert band scores, I've scored glockenspiel and triangle playing a few measures together. It SEEMS appropriate, but to my ear, they don't work together because each instrument muddies the effect of the other. By themselves, the glockenspiel part plays the melody with flutes, trumpets, and upper winds. It's a nice effect. Without the glockenspiel, the triangle in this section adds a nice percussive effect and strengthens this section's light quality. But together, one instrument muddies the other's effect, creating a confused sound.

Can anyone suggest in the classical (orchestral) literature pieces that include glockenspiel and triangle playing a passage together (with other instruments)?

Thanks.

sandalwood

Re: Glockenspiel and triangle scored together?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2019, 03:59:13 PM »
Art, in Dukas' The Sorcererís Apprentice there are passages they do play together in the last couple of minutes of the work (from rehearsal 52 onwards).

gogreen

• Art on Facebook
Re: Glockenspiel and triangle scored together?
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2019, 06:38:49 PM »
Thanks. Does posting here have a clarifying effect for others as it does for me. After considering this idea further, I'm more convinced now that it's OK to score them together.