Author Topic: East And West Windows (orchestra, complete with score)  (Read 136 times)

jamie kowalski

East And West Windows (orchestra, complete with score)
« on: October 28, 2019, 12:21:40 AM »
Hi all,

It's been a long time coming, but I've finally finished this short orchestral work. Revisions were never-ending. I thought I'd be finished months ago, but you know how that goes.

This piece comes from a sketch for two pianos and harp that I posted in the "in progress" section some time ago. I hope you like it.

East And West Windows score | mp3

Comments and questions welcome.

Jamie
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 07:39:18 AM by jamie kowalski »

mjf1947

• Administrator
Re: East And West Windows (orchestra, complete with score)
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2019, 09:31:39 AM »
Jamie,

A quite delightful and interesting composition using judicial orchestration to maximum effect for an interesting texture/fabric.

Looking forward to more posts from you.

Mark

jamie kowalski

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2019, 10:22:16 AM »
A quite delightful and interesting composition using judicial orchestration to maximum effect for an interesting texture/fabric.

Thank you, Mark.

The orchestration was quite difficult for me to get just right, especially the low strings and winds at rehearsals A and F. In my sketch those parts were very idiomatic of the piano, but they were quite tricky to make convincing for orchestra. I don't usually work from piano sketches for my orchestral pieces, and I felt like I had almost painted myself into a corner in those sections.

whitebark

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2019, 10:34:55 AM »
Excellent work, Jamie. Every aspect of the music works well - harmony, orchestration, thematic material. I looked over the score and couldn't see any problems. I like the little solo bass line at the end.

Jay

jamie kowalski

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2019, 11:32:41 AM »
Thanks Jay! I appreciate your comments.

Also good to hear the score looks ok to you. I've stared at it too long, and have made too many corrections in the past 48 hours to be able to notice anything else. :)

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2019, 02:40:07 PM »

Jamie,

Hearing the piano version, I had no idea how you would orchestrate it.

Fascinating piece. Wonderful timbres and energy. Very exciting to listen to.

I love explorations that go beyond my own conventional stuff. Inspires me to try new things (someday, maybe ...).

Cheers,
Jer

Finale 26
NP3
GPO 5
JABB 3
iMac Mojave

jamie kowalski

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2019, 07:29:48 AM »
Thank you for the kind words, Jerry.

When I wrote the sketch, I had a fairly good idea of the orchestration I wanted. It turned out that I changed my mind most of the time anyway!

In several places, my trouble finding a good solution led me to rewrite the material. Often tinkering turned into major overhaul, including changes in register and harmony, as well as adding or deleting counter-melodies. Some of the later sections I was no longer happy with, and just left out all together.

It's lucky I was orchestrating my own piece and not someone else's!

sandalwood

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2019, 07:00:44 PM »
Very enjoyable! Deliciously dissonant and metrically choppy, yet flows smoothly like a spicy syrup, perfumes swirling in the air. Funnily, I happen to hear a "rock" element, as well, even hear distorted guitar itself, and not only at 2:05. :)

Accessible but still unmistakably Kowalski, in my opinion.

I keep liking your piano sketch and think it merits to be wrapped up as a catalog work, too.

Reha

Allhands wouldn't let me see this post how many times I tried, till trying again today after a few days gap.

jamie kowalski

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2019, 07:27:19 AM »
Very enjoyable! Deliciously dissonant and metrically choppy, yet flows smoothly like a spicy syrup, perfumes swirling in the air.

Thanks, Reha -- One of my favorite descriptions ever!

Funnily, I happen to hear a "rock" element, as well, even hear distorted guitar itself, and not only at 2:05.

I guess that's possible. I do have some rock influences.  :)

I keep liking your piano sketch and think it merits to be wrapped up as a catalog work, too.

Thanks, but unfortunately it requires two pianos and probably five hands (plus harp) in its present state. I think I'm ready to move on to something completely different instead of patching that up to make it presentable.