Author Topic: Fairy tale bagatelle for bassoon and piano  (Read 159 times)

OscoBosco

Fairy tale bagatelle for bassoon and piano
« on: October 23, 2019, 01:12:13 PM »
My fairy tale bagatelle for bassoon and piano duet with sheet music - I'm happy with this one and would love to hear your guys' opinion on it! Just want to be a better composer :)

About the Music: Commissioned by Arts Alliance Illinois in honor of Julie Griffin transitioning to serve as the Director of Artistic Operations at Music of the Baroque. Congratulations!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8lHDq_1xmA

mjf1947

• Administrator
Re: Fairy tale bagatelle for bassoon and piano
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2019, 01:25:41 PM »
Hi thanks for posting.

Your composition is quite pleasant.  A bit more variation on the theme would enrich the work.

Measure 25 is in the extreme upper range of the bassoon. I am not a bassoonist; however my orchestra experience tells me this might be a problem for the player and his bassoon or the sound my be strained and require special fingerings.

Mark

whitebark

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2019, 10:01:11 AM »
Quite a pretty piece!  I enjoyed the lush romantic harmonies, which work well to create a melancholic mood.  It's always nice to hear a live performance of a piece instead of the usual computer simulations.

J

OscoBosco

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2019, 01:15:58 PM »
Thanks so much for giving it a listen and for the suggestions––I'm new to writing for winds. I'll have to readjust a couple things.

jamie kowalski

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2019, 07:38:03 AM »
Nice work!

I like your main theme, and you have some nice harmonies and progressions in there.

I'm not a bassoonist either, but I think the sections using the higher register are fine, and sound quite nice. I doubt they would give players too much trouble after a little practice, so long as it's not expected to be played by beginners.

OscoBosco

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2019, 11:45:16 AM »
Thank you Jamie, glad you liked it :)