Author Topic: Fairy tale bagatelle for bassoon and piano  (Read 1497 times)

OscoBosco

Fairy tale bagatelle for bassoon and piano
« on: October 23, 2019, 01:12:13 PM »
My fairy tale bagatelle for bassoon and piano duet with sheet music - I'm happy with this one and would love to hear your guys' opinion on it! Just want to be a better composer :)

About the Music: Commissioned by Arts Alliance Illinois in honor of Julie Griffin transitioning to serve as the Director of Artistic Operations at Music of the Baroque. Congratulations!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8lHDq_1xmA

mjf1947

• Administrator
Re: Fairy tale bagatelle for bassoon and piano
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2019, 01:25:41 PM »
Hi thanks for posting.

Your composition is quite pleasant.  A bit more variation on the theme would enrich the work.

Measure 25 is in the extreme upper range of the bassoon. I am not a bassoonist; however my orchestra experience tells me this might be a problem for the player and his bassoon or the sound my be strained and require special fingerings.

Mark

whitebark

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2019, 10:01:11 AM »
Quite a pretty piece!  I enjoyed the lush romantic harmonies, which work well to create a melancholic mood.  It's always nice to hear a live performance of a piece instead of the usual computer simulations.

J

OscoBosco

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2019, 01:15:58 PM »
Thanks so much for giving it a listen and for the suggestions––I'm new to writing for winds. I'll have to readjust a couple things.

jamie kowalski

• All Hands Music
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2019, 07:38:03 AM »
Nice work!

I like your main theme, and you have some nice harmonies and progressions in there.

I'm not a bassoonist either, but I think the sections using the higher register are fine, and sound quite nice. I doubt they would give players too much trouble after a little practice, so long as it's not expected to be played by beginners.

OscoBosco

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2019, 11:45:16 AM »
Thank you Jamie, glad you liked it :)

RJB54

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2020, 06:27:25 AM »
Very nice piece. Pleasant to listen to. I enjoyed it.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • M.Mus (composition) Finale 26, NP3, GPO5
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2020, 08:34:30 PM »
there are a number of notational issues (you use a lot of tied notes that should have, instead, been consolidated into longer values).

I agree with others that the main theme is really quite lovely. That nice little chromatic shift is effective.
It is lacking in some variety, however. The piano accompaniment feels blockish. Almost entirely written with arpeggiated runs in the left hand, and low-ish right hand. If anything, consider moving the entire accompaniment into higher register for a few measures here and there. it would break from the eventual tedium.

Where there is a major weakness is measurs 13-14 and 41-43. The sudden modal shift in harmony really doesn't work, and it is also too square. There is no preparation for that shift. Had you implied it earlier, lead into it, then it might have worked. But for now it's just "ok, these two measures are in a more-or-less major mode", then back to the mysterious minor/chromatic material.

For the title I was left a bit perplex. I could see it as a Barcarolle (it is already in the correct metre), but it did not fit the sense of a Bagatelle.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

flint

• Crazed weasels in a man costume
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2020, 10:00:24 AM »
I agree with Michel that the notation is squirrelly.

I play bassoon and the range is fine for advanced high school or young college level player.

The least kind thing I can say is that I find the piano part repetitive and muddled (the constant arpeggios are hypnotic, in the "this is boring and putting me to sleep" way). The left hand is quite tedious, and the right hand seems caged to the staff.

The melody is lovely, but the piano part is not helping it shine. Possibly add some interest with a countermelody. I suggest going measure by measure and seeing if you can lighten, revoice, or otherwise make the piano part work better for the piece. It's a very good start.
"Music is like wine; the less you know about it, the sweeter you like it." - Robertson Davies

SallyS

• “Without music, life would be a mistake”
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2020, 05:08:06 AM »
I agree with all the comments. At the beginning, the piano sets a mood and the theme is very lovely. I was excited at the start ..... But then for me the piece didn't  go anywhere....it didn't really deviate or grow.... so by the end I was getting a little bored. I think your initial material is wonderful, but I think you need to work with it further. The piano introduces the melody.... and I love the melody in that higher register.... but then the piano becomes just the accompaniment.... just echoing bits from the bassoon. Could the piano take on more of a melodic role? Could you perhaps add a second melody so you have conversations between the instruments instead of just echoes. And the bits in between the main theme just don't seem to go anywhere.... it's as if you're just filling in time before the main theme comes back again. It has wonderful potential.

gogreen

• Art on Facebook
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2020, 06:00:30 AM »
Lovely! I like the lyrical, cantabile, dreamy quality, and I agree that the chromatic shift is fresh and effective. Measures 13 and 14 seem out of place. I thought the piano accompaniment several measures from the end muddied the piece, although that may just be the effect of the reverb. One more thing--you covered the bassoon's upper range nicely, but there are no notes in the lower register. That might be challenging in this kind of work, but it would have added to the piece's variety. Overall, this is a lovely work.

Art