Author Topic: Broadway Morning - Clarinet String Quartet  (Read 917 times)

Tónskáld

Re: Broadway Morning - Clarinet String Quartet
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2019, 09:00:33 AM »
Nicely done, Mark! It had a "NYC swing" to it but not overly much. "Just right," as Goldilocks would say.

I enjoyed the harmonies here immensely. Was there a particular mode you were using?

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2019, 09:52:44 AM »
Nicely done, Mark! It had a "NYC swing" to it but not overly much. "Just right," as Goldilocks would say.

I enjoyed the harmonies here immensely. Was there a particular mode you were using?

Thanks for the review ....

Being not sufficiently schooled has both advantages and disadvantages.  The disadvantages are obvious .... and I do not say that being not sufficiently educated is good.  It is not.

However, because of the lack of skill it causes me to use lot of trial and error.   I see the structure of the work and then I perceive/hear/know how the structure should move along.  At times this can be a bit tedious .... many revisions.  There is both frustration and freedom.  I struggle to find the right counter point, leading notes, harmonic structure.etc.  So I do not think squarely in some progressive order/layout.  So that is the good and the bad of it. 

So to answer your question ..... I do know basic harmony - modal scales etc and I am fortunate to play in orchestras which helps quite a lot ...... however in this piece ... if it sounded good I used it!

For me .... composing is a visual art and well as an aural one.  The structure/architecture/patterns of the notes guide me as well as the aural feedback. 

And yes .... more education is much better!

I've tried a couple of mentors with varying results.

Mark
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 09:59:26 AM by mjf1947 »

Tónskáld

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2019, 10:24:56 AM »
Nothing beats good old trial and error! I think you have a good ear for harmony, so I hope you keep trusting it!

Patrick O'Keefe

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2019, 02:55:13 PM »
I'm very late to the party here so don't have anything constructive to add.  I'll just say that your trials (with or without errors) have lead you very well.  This a a great little piece.

I vote, along with the others, for making this part of a suite.  It's a shame to let this end so quickly.

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2019, 03:13:04 PM »
I'm very late to the party here so don't have anything constructive to add.  I'll just say that your trials (with or without errors) have lead you very well.  This a a great little piece.

I vote, along with the others, for making this part of a suite.  It's a shame to let this end so quickly.

I need a new muse~! to get me going............................

Thanks for the review .... I am sure I will eventually come back to the work.

Mark