Author Topic: Broadway Morning - Clarinet String Quartet  (Read 2541 times)

Tónskáld

Re: Broadway Morning - Clarinet String Quartet
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2019, 09:00:33 AM »
Nicely done, Mark! It had a "NYC swing" to it but not overly much. "Just right," as Goldilocks would say.

I enjoyed the harmonies here immensely. Was there a particular mode you were using?

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2019, 09:52:44 AM »
Nicely done, Mark! It had a "NYC swing" to it but not overly much. "Just right," as Goldilocks would say.

I enjoyed the harmonies here immensely. Was there a particular mode you were using?

Thanks for the review ....

Being not sufficiently schooled has both advantages and disadvantages.  The disadvantages are obvious .... and I do not say that being not sufficiently educated is good.  It is not.

However, because of the lack of skill it causes me to use lot of trial and error.   I see the structure of the work and then I perceive/hear/know how the structure should move along.  At times this can be a bit tedious .... many revisions.  There is both frustration and freedom.  I struggle to find the right counter point, leading notes, harmonic structure.etc.  So I do not think squarely in some progressive order/layout.  So that is the good and the bad of it. 

So to answer your question ..... I do know basic harmony - modal scales etc and I am fortunate to play in orchestras which helps quite a lot ...... however in this piece ... if it sounded good I used it!

For me .... composing is a visual art and well as an aural one.  The structure/architecture/patterns of the notes guide me as well as the aural feedback. 

And yes .... more education is much better!

I've tried a couple of mentors with varying results.

Mark
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 09:59:26 AM by mjf1947 »

Tónskáld

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2019, 10:24:56 AM »
Nothing beats good old trial and error! I think you have a good ear for harmony, so I hope you keep trusting it!

Patrick O'Keefe

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2019, 02:55:13 PM »
I'm very late to the party here so don't have anything constructive to add.  I'll just say that your trials (with or without errors) have lead you very well.  This a a great little piece.

I vote, along with the others, for making this part of a suite.  It's a shame to let this end so quickly.

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2019, 03:13:04 PM »
I'm very late to the party here so don't have anything constructive to add.  I'll just say that your trials (with or without errors) have lead you very well.  This a a great little piece.

I vote, along with the others, for making this part of a suite.  It's a shame to let this end so quickly.

I need a new muse~! to get me going............................

Thanks for the review .... I am sure I will eventually come back to the work.

Mark

RJB54

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2020, 10:04:42 AM »
I liked the syncopations and the metric flexibility of this piece. It moves along well. It's too short though. You set up some good base material and then the piece just stops. I want more. :)
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2020, 08:14:53 AM »
I liked the syncopations and the metric flexibility of this piece. It moves along well. It's too short though. You set up some good base material and then the piece just stops. I want more. :)

Okay ... I went back to take a look over.  I made some minor changes/additions which I think makes the work better.

Now with your encouragement ... me thinks I will add a new section to the composition (once I finish "The Home Coming" project). I have an idea for a slow movement.

Thanks for the review.

Mark
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 08:18:30 AM by mjf1947 »

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2020, 06:31:34 PM »
Mark,

Where's the latest version?

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
NP3, GPO 5, JABB 3
iMac Mojave

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2020, 07:42:04 PM »
Jer,

Here's the newest version with a couple of additions and tweaks.  There spots which I will revisit.

Hope you enjoy the walk through the busy New York City streets.

As I stated in the previous post - I contemplating adding a mid-section - something a bit more lyrical.  I am currently exploring some ideas....maybe my muse will speak to me?

Mark
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 07:46:18 PM by mjf1947 »

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • M.Mus (composition) Finale 26, NP3, GPO5
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2020, 08:50:42 PM »
it has a fun Copland-ish feel to it.

one negative: I REALLY don't like those unisons at 14-15 and again at 23. they are surprisingly jarring.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2020, 08:21:57 AM »
Michel thanks for the review and suggestions.

I attended to those particular measures and reviewed the work for other instances.

Mark

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2020, 10:26:10 AM »
Mark,

Great progress from the version I heard last November. It sounds of a piece now. The interplay between the clarinet and strings is delightful.

It's very listenable. I hope more people get to play it and hear it.

Felicidades.

Cheers,
Jer

P.S. I'm afraid New York's busy streets are just a memory in music, at least for now.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 10:27:50 AM by Jerry Engelbach »
Finale 26
NP3, GPO 5, JABB 3
iMac Mojave

SallyS

• “Without music, life would be a mistake”
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2020, 01:15:40 AM »
This is a very interesting work, and it keeps your interest all the way through. The clarinet moves forward with a clear direction. The strings add wonderful textures, creating a very successful landscape .... and the rhythms throughout show great inspiration. I love the piece!😀