Author Topic: Broadway Morning - Clarinet String Quartet  (Read 166 times)

mjf1947

• Administrator
Broadway Morning - Clarinet String Quartet
« on: October 22, 2019, 05:46:50 PM »
Okay here's a 99% finished work.

There are some major and minor changes .... editing and a new section in the first theme.

My conception ..... in the midst of a morning commute - crossing the Urban landscape.

Hope you enjoy my efforts here.

Mark
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 06:34:11 AM by mjf1947 »

mjf1947

• Administrator
Re: Broadway Morning - Clarinet String Quartet
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 09:59:11 AM »
Here's the initial theme as a stand alone work.

I expanded the mid-section.  I am still have work to do.

What do you think?

Mark
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 10:02:11 AM by mjf1947 »

whitebark

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 03:56:22 PM »
Your piece has a jazzy feel, with interesting melodic material for the clarinet. Definitely continue to expand the length of the work.  Are you planning to integrate this material with the rest of the Broadway Morning music?

Jay

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 07:12:23 PM »
Your piece has a jazzy feel, with interesting melodic material for the clarinet. Definitely continue to expand the length of the work.  Are you planning to integrate this material with the rest of the Broadway Morning music?

Jay

Thanks for the review ..... I would like to do so ....... It is a question of balance etc.

At the moment there is one transition that I am not satisfied with ...once I successfully address that issue ....I'll review the entire piece in context and decide how to enhance it.

Lot's of work indeed.

Mark

PS: I think I solved my transition problem!!!  ;D
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 07:40:11 PM by mjf1947 »

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 07:28:41 AM »
Mark,

I like the main theme very much.

I wonder if its phrasing could be highlighted with more dynamic variety and maybe even slight pauses, to really make it stand out from the overall texture of the piece. The theme kind of sneaks back in at the end rather than decisively announcing itself.

The beginning is very engaging, with the clarinet and strings echoing each other. There is slight bit of that later, and I found myself hoping for even more.

The whole thing has a pleasing mood. But throughout I also wanted to hear emphasis to propel more sense of direction.

Your harmonies and the blending of the instruments are lovely.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
NP3
GPO 5
JABB 3
iMac Mojave

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 01:06:24 PM »
Mark,

I like the main theme very much.

I wonder if its phrasing could be highlighted with more dynamic variety and maybe even slight pauses, to really make it stand out from the overall texture of the piece. The theme kind of sneaks back in at the end rather than decisively announcing itself.

The beginning is very engaging, with the clarinet and strings echoing each other. There is slight bit of that later, and I found myself hoping for even more.

The whole thing has a pleasing mood. But throughout I also wanted to hear emphasis to propel more sense of direction.

Your harmonies and the blending of the instruments are lovely.

Cheers,
Jer

Jer I agree completely!

Lots see what develops..................

Mark

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 02:11:24 PM »
Well .... I combined all the parts and did some more tweaking.

However, me thinks I need some distance from the work.

Some here it is .......

I will come back to it at a later date .... :angel:

Mark

sandalwood

« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 02:48:42 PM »
Mark, the previous one sounded to me like it would be a mvt in a multi-mvt suite,  the totality providing context for the components. The last one sounds like it is meant to be a stand-alone work. If it is, then I have the following listening notes:

I think you need a transition from section 1 to 2 at 1:28. I did not feel comfortable with the 15 seconds from 2:15. I have a gut feeling that this piece feels as if a bit short/hurried to accommodate the two themes together. I fear to be misleading, of course, I know I may be hearing it differently tomorrow. So, yes, the proverbial grain of salt :)
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 03:06:18 PM by sandalwood »

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 06:25:53 PM »
Mark, the previous one sounded to me like it would be a mvt in a multi-mvt suite,  the totality providing context for the components. The last one sounds like it is meant to be a stand-alone work. If it is, then I have the following listening notes:

I think you need a transition from section 1 to 2 at 1:28. I did not feel comfortable with the 15 seconds from 2:15. I have a gut feeling that this piece feels as if a bit short/hurried to accommodate the two themes together. I fear to be misleading, of course, I know I may be hearing it differently tomorrow. So, yes, the proverbial grain of salt :)

You know you never know where you might end up with a composition.   

You make a valid point.  I am playing around a bit and deleted the second theme .... to try for a more integrated piece.

I'll post soon.

Mark