Author Topic: Après midi d'un été - for orchestra  (Read 63 times)

francoisfj

Après midi d'un été - for orchestra
« on: October 11, 2019, 10:31:49 AM »
Hello, this is a piece I'm composing for orchestra, themed around impressions of a summer's afternoon. I usually compose for piano or piano with few accompaniment, so this is one of my attempts at orchestration. Any feedback would be appreciated : )

P.S. I use a lot of ppp for their tone in the playback, they do not represent the dynamics the actual dynamics of the piece.

mjf1947

• Administrator
Re: Après midi d'un été - for orchestra
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2019, 10:48:04 AM »
Hey ... I like it!

You create a nice mood with the harmonies and movement.

A few things caught my attention.

You have the flute in a very low range, a times under the Oboe etc .... at a triple ppp or pp I not sure how that's going project in the orchestra ... the strings would have to be so very very very quiet. 

I wonder ... just my personal observation .... if you were too use the same thematic material with less orchestration (less instruments) and raise the dynamics a bit to project the thematic material better?  Maybe moving it among the woodwinds etc.

Also the music is a bit square on the 4/4 .... the initial beat can be a bit of a drag.   Maybe you could create a bit of motion across the bar line.

I'm eager to see your work progress.  Please post all your progress/stages for us to review and enjoy.

Mark

francoisfj

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2019, 06:50:48 AM »
Thanks for your comment!

The flute are indeed in a very low register. I like how it sounds on the software playback, but I actually don't know how it would sound in an orchestra. Although if it were to be played, the dynamics on the pdf do not represent how I actually would want them to be. I use a lot of ppp because I find that's the only way to get an enjoyable playback on the software, as when the dynamics are increased, there doesn't seem to be quite as good a balance between the parts.
And maybe the thematic material is lost in all the orchestration indeed. I'm going to try to develop the next sections with this in mind.
I'm not too content with the start of the piece 4/4 bars, it's more improvisatory in nature than the rest of the piece, I'll probably end up changing them when I finish the piece :)

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2019, 08:42:15 AM »
Thanks for your comment!

The flute are indeed in a very low register. I like how it sounds on the software playback, but I actually don't know how it would sound in an orchestra. Although if it were to be played, the dynamics on the pdf do not represent how I actually would want them to be. I use a lot of ppp because I find that's the only way to get an enjoyable playback on the software, as when the dynamics are increased, there doesn't seem to be quite as good a balance between the parts.
And maybe the thematic material is lost in all the orchestration indeed. I'm going to try to develop the next sections with this in mind.
I'm not too content with the start of the piece 4/4 bars, it's more improvisatory in nature than the rest of the piece, I'll probably end up changing them when I finish the piece :)

Usually with a soft solo line ...  the solo is played alone or with minimal accompaniment.  Or may be combined with another moving/supportive instrument(s) to highlight the spot.  Right now I am playing the Sibelius 2nd symphony.  There are times the Oboe is  \prominent with no musical support...just alone

Mark

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2019, 09:12:05 AM »

Very nice harmonies and interesting dissonances.

I agree with Mark. The flute would be inaudible at that register. And in a couple of places you have it written below its bottom range, which is middle C.

You could possibly use a bass flute instead.

I also have doubts that a horn can play an actual ppp dynamic. I don't quite understand why you're not starting at p.

It's a nice fragment of what I expect you intend to be a longer piece. It just needs tweaking of the orchestration.

Cheers,

Jer
Finale 26
NP3
GPO 5
JABB 3
iMac Mojave

francoisfj

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2019, 02:15:35 PM »
Thanks for your comment!

Usually with a soft solo line ...  the solo is played alone or with minimal accompaniment.  Or may be combined with another moving/supportive instrument(s) to highlight the spot.  Right now I am playing the Sibelius 2nd symphony.  There are times the Oboe is  \prominent with no musical support...just alone

Mark

I see! That makes sense, I'll try to reduce the usage of too many instruments at a time when not needed. This helps, thanks :)

francoisfj

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2019, 02:18:51 PM »

Very nice harmonies and interesting dissonances.

I agree with Mark. The flute would be inaudible at that register. And in a couple of places you have it written below its bottom range, which is middle C.

You could possibly use a bass flute instead.

I also have doubts that a horn can play an actual ppp dynamic. I don't quite understand why you're not starting at p.

It's a nice fragment of what I expect you intend to be a longer piece. It just needs tweaking of the orchestration.

Cheers,

Jer

Thank you :) I'll have to change the flute in that section, a bass flute is a good idea.
For the dynamics, if I were to submit it somewhere to be reviewed I would change them for sure, the way I wrote them isn't how I would want the piece to be. It's just with noteperformer, the playback has a nicer tone in ppp, but in a real orchestra it would definitely not be like that.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 05:42:53 PM by francoisfj »