Author Topic: Fantasy for Oboe  (Read 181 times)

mjf1947

• Administrator
Fantasy for Oboe
« on: September 26, 2019, 01:22:29 PM »
Hi all,

I have completed the Fantasy for Oboe.   ;D

Here it is ......  :angel:

Mark

williamhu

Re: Fantasy for Oboe
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2019, 09:49:13 PM »
Really cool piece! Here are my thoughts section by section:

A Minor - Beautiful section, makes good use of the melancholic longing which can come across in the sound of an oboe.  The semiquaver motif at bars 6-7 and 21-22 is so very pretty!

D Major - Lots of fun! The themes here (especially in the oboe) didn't speak to me as much as those of other sections, but I appreciate the joviality of this section, and the recurring piano figure that first appears in the very first bar (25) is wonderfully playful and characteristic.

D Minor - Hey, this theme seems familiar! ;) I can't remember if it was taken from one of your other works or if I'm remembering this from my brief wander through your in-progress thread. In any case, I really like this theme which almost makes one think of a wind performer in the medieval times. Bars 73-98 showcase well balanced harmonisation and voicing, some of the strongest in the piece for me!
The staccato idea from bars 99-102 is one of my favourite moments in the piece. Simple but so arresting!

Eb Major - I love the contrapuntal elements that come into play throughout this section. One thing I've noticed on a reread of the score are the consecutive 10ths in the left hand at 138-139. Most pianists can play this but it will likely feel a bit awkward underhand / require rolling the chord.
I'm not fully convinced by the transition back into the opening A minor theme - it's very sudden and given that Eb major and A minor are quite distant from each other, it feels odd to my ears to just switch from one to the other with no warning or transitional material. I'd love some extra bars which help 'ease' the listener back into the main theme!

A really enjoyable listen! Thanks for sharing :)

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2019, 05:46:53 AM »
William,

Thanks so much for your words.  It warms my heart to know you enjoyed the work.  After all .... music is created to bring a thoughtful moment to the listener.

And yes ... I did borrow/incorporate a theme from a woodwind quintet of mine.  I rewrote it for Oboe and Piano.

I see your point in the transition to the recapitulation.  I thought that the move from Eb to Am might work, however, I see that it may need more tweaking.

It was fun to compose this work .... it touched upon many different moods and styles.  I was a bit concerned whether it would hold together.  I guess it did~!

Thanks again for the review and for taking the time to listen and comment.

Mark

PS: I will review the piano section.  :)

Attached find a better transition to the final section .... this is a quick fix.  I think it's okay though?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 08:05:55 AM by mjf1947 »

whitebark

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2019, 01:57:40 PM »
Congratulations on completing your Fantasy for Oboe, Mark!  It's quite a charming work. Yes, that transition to the final section is abrupt. As I mentioned early, you could create a cadenza-like section with an oboe solo to create a transition.

J

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2019, 02:27:28 PM »
Congratulations on completing your Fantasy for Oboe, Mark!  It's quite a charming work. Yes, that transition to the final section is abrupt. As I mentioned early, you could create a cadenza-like section with an oboe solo to create a transition.

J

Okay .... the pressure is on~!  :angel:

Thanks,

Mark

perpetuo studens

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2019, 05:24:16 PM »
Hi Mark,

I quite liked this. It has a melancholy, almost medieval air to it that I find very endearing and evocative.

This is quite an ambitious piece. Multiple changes of theme and tempo can be difficult to manage (for me anyway :)) but the sections flow well from one to another even though they are separated by full stops which give the structure a suite-like feel, leaving me with the sense that I have been told a story with numerous subplots.

There are lots of bits and pieces worthy of comment as well. Overall I liked the rhythmic and textural variations, but the figures at mmm 6 and 9 work particularly well IMO. And I really like the big chords in mm 5 and 6.

The part writing for the piano at m 19 is also very effective, providing a string sense of movement but without thickening the texture too much. I was also pleased to see these figures returning at the end of the piece providing me with a sense of finality, of having come full circle.

I also thought the articulations were quite well chosen.

As far as any suggestions for improvement I am, as you know, hesitant to comment given my meagre level of technical expertise, but I did have a couple of thoughts. Please take them only for what they might be worth (which might be nothing :)). I did wish a couple of times that the changes to different key areas could have been more pronounced; that is, I wanted to hear you move to keys further away from the opening key. That might have made it a completely different piece though.

It also occurred to me that some pentatonic melodic bits might work well with the rest of the melodic structure.

I have only made suggestions for improvement twice since joining the forum all those years ago though. One suggestion was ignored (and fair enough). The other was implemented by the composer and when I heard the change I understood immediately what a bad idea it was. So you might no want to take the above too seriously :).

At any rate, a very successful piece IMO, and one that, for me at least, sounds like Mark.

Kudos,

Jamie
The perceived object...is not a sum of elements to be distinguished from each other and analyzed discretely, but a pattern, that is to say a form, a structure: the element's existence does not precede the existence of the whole, it comes neither before nor after it, for the parts do not determine the pattern, but the pattern determines the parts: knowledge of the pattern and of its laws, of the set and its structure, could not possibly be derived from discrete knowledge of the elements that compose it.

That means that you can look at a piece of a puzzle for three whole days, you can believe that you know all there is to know about its colouring and its shape, and be no further ahead than when you started. The only thing that counts is the ability to link this piece to other pieces...

Georges Perec - Life: A User's Manual

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2019, 08:20:05 AM »
Jamie,

Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment on my work.  I appreciate the interest you have shown.

All suggestions are always welcome .... always feel free to say what's on your mind.

Whoever, suggests changes - I take all with good will ... at times I embrace them, or modify then or say it's not for me.

For me the important thing is to have a place to post ...   If someone walks away with a smile on their face ... all for the best.

Mark

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2019, 02:44:32 PM »

J

Here's the Cadenza/transition.

Mark

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2019, 09:06:20 AM »
Mark,

It's very pretty. And I like your syncopations.

Observation:

It's all of one texture. You have places where the oboe is emphatic, but the piano stays quiet. The piano might sometimes be more emphatic, both to underline the oboe's force in places and to contrast with the oboe's cantabile in others.

I also wonder if some the tempo could be faster. The evenness of a lot of the oboe part makes me want to get on with it.

The cadenza is a nice addition.

Cheers,
Jer

« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 10:34:08 AM by mjf1947 »
Finale 26
NP3
GPO 5
JABB 3
iMac Mojave

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2019, 10:34:22 AM »
Mark,

It's very pretty. And I like your syncopations.

Observation:

It's all of one texture. You have places where the oboe is emphatic, but the piano stays quiet. The piano might sometimes be more emphatic, both to underline the oboe's force in places and to contrast with the oboe's cantabile in others.

I also wonder if some the tempo could be faster. The evenness of a lot of the oboe part makes me want to get on with it.

The cadenza is a nice addition.

Cheers,
Jer

My son-in-law a Music Teacher and pianist .... suggested I should increase the piano range to add more depth and oomphs to the part.

Also a few piano parts are awkward which I fixed.  There is also a new 1 measure intro. 

I definitely will go back a take another look and see what I can do and revisit the tempi.

Thanks for the review and encouragement.

Mark

PS: I am making some improvements to the Clarinet and Piano Duet too.  The piano there is being improved upon as per my son-in-law.

whitebark

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2019, 05:16:08 PM »
That's a nice cadenza - it should help make a smooth transition to the final section.  If you want to be traditional, you could add a long trilled note just before the end of the cadenza, which will warn the pianist that it's time to play.

Jay

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2019, 07:51:37 AM »
That's a nice cadenza - it should help make a smooth transition to the final section.  If you want to be traditional, you could add a long trilled note just before the end of the cadenza, which will warn the pianist that it's time to play.

Jay

Done!

Thanks .........

PS: I also removed one movement ... the short renaissance 3/4.  I felt it was the weakest movement and didn't add too much to the overall work.

Mark
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 07:54:01 AM by mjf1947 »