(1/3) > >>

mjf1947:
Hi all,

I have completed the Fantasy for Oboe.   ;D

Here it is ......  :angel:

Mark

williamhu:
Really cool piece! Here are my thoughts section by section:

A Minor - Beautiful section, makes good use of the melancholic longing which can come across in the sound of an oboe.  The semiquaver motif at bars 6-7 and 21-22 is so very pretty!

D Major - Lots of fun! The themes here (especially in the oboe) didn't speak to me as much as those of other sections, but I appreciate the joviality of this section, and the recurring piano figure that first appears in the very first bar (25) is wonderfully playful and characteristic.

D Minor - Hey, this theme seems familiar! ;) I can't remember if it was taken from one of your other works or if I'm remembering this from my brief wander through your in-progress thread. In any case, I really like this theme which almost makes one think of a wind performer in the medieval times. Bars 73-98 showcase well balanced harmonisation and voicing, some of the strongest in the piece for me!
The staccato idea from bars 99-102 is one of my favourite moments in the piece. Simple but so arresting!

Eb Major - I love the contrapuntal elements that come into play throughout this section. One thing I've noticed on a reread of the score are the consecutive 10ths in the left hand at 138-139. Most pianists can play this but it will likely feel a bit awkward underhand / require rolling the chord.
I'm not fully convinced by the transition back into the opening A minor theme - it's very sudden and given that Eb major and A minor are quite distant from each other, it feels odd to my ears to just switch from one to the other with no warning or transitional material. I'd love some extra bars which help 'ease' the listener back into the main theme!

A really enjoyable listen! Thanks for sharing :)

mjf1947:
William,

Thanks so much for your words.  It warms my heart to know you enjoyed the work.  After all .... music is created to bring a thoughtful moment to the listener.

And yes ... I did borrow/incorporate a theme from a woodwind quintet of mine.  I rewrote it for Oboe and Piano.

I see your point in the transition to the recapitulation.  I thought that the move from Eb to Am might work, however, I see that it may need more tweaking.

It was fun to compose this work .... it touched upon many different moods and styles.  I was a bit concerned whether it would hold together.  I guess it did~!

Thanks again for the review and for taking the time to listen and comment.

Mark

PS: I will review the piano section.  :)

Attached find a better transition to the final section .... this is a quick fix.  I think it's okay though?

whitebark:
Congratulations on completing your Fantasy for Oboe, Mark!  It's quite a charming work. Yes, that transition to the final section is abrupt. As I mentioned early, you could create a cadenza-like section with an oboe solo to create a transition.

J

mjf1947:

--- Quote from: whitebark on September 27, 2019, 01:57:40 PM ---Congratulations on completing your Fantasy for Oboe, Mark!  It's quite a charming work. Yes, that transition to the final section is abrupt. As I mentioned early, you could create a cadenza-like section with an oboe solo to create a transition.

J

--- End quote ---

Okay .... the pressure is on~!  :angel:

Thanks,

Mark

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version