Author Topic: 24 Preludes, Nos 1-4  (Read 129 times)

williamhu

24 Preludes, Nos 1-4
« on: September 05, 2019, 12:56:52 AM »
Uh oh, it appears that I've begun the foolish undertaking of a complete cycle of preludes!
I've joined this forum 4 preludes in, so I've concatenated the score-videos of those together into one for your convenience :) Please forgive any slight technical hiccups! I tend to write just a tiny bit out of my reach as a pianist.
Here they are: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYVoB1aCtoo (If you'd prefer to listen to them individually they're all uploaded on their lonesome on my channel)
The scores are also attached as PDFs.
Each one so far has come with a little descriptor:
C Major - a hazy, distant memory.
A Minor - a trip down the rabbit hole.
G Major - a story told by the campfire.
E Minor - a little bit of mischief.

I've noticed that all my major preludes so far (including D, which is in sketching-phase) are in a more nostalgic frame of mind, so I've made a mental note to ensure that A Major will be a little more boisterous!

Any and all feedback is welcome - I've only recently been getting back into the swing of things, and any direction would be much appreciated.
Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 01:01:09 AM by williamhu »

whitebark

Re: 24 Preludes, Nos 1-4
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 11:07:20 AM »
Welcome to the group, William!  I enjoyed listening to your first four preludes.  Your piano playing skill is superb, too.

Jay

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 11:50:01 AM »
Lovely impressionistic Preludes. 

Enjoyed them very much................
 ;D

Mark

Tónskáld

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 12:11:35 PM »
The first prelude: heartwrenching and soulful. The second: magical, enchanting. The third: beautiful, nostalgic. The fourth: furious, bold.

I enjoyed what sounded to me like an Asian flair throughout, perhaps a bit of leaning into pentatonic scales. It was colorful, unpredictable, but grounded enough that my soul breathed in and out with the music. It reminded me a lot of Debussy's piano works, particularly the last prelude. As a pianist myself, I'm thrilled at how great these sound and how fun they are to play!

I'm personally not a fan of the "interpretive phrases" beneath the passages. I feel like the music should speak for itself. But that's totally a matter of taste (and a small matter at that), not an error on your part.

Kudos to you on a job well-done! I look forward to hearing the rest of them!
Tools: Sibelius 7, Windows 10, Spitfire Audio VSL, Ivory Synthogy
Day job: Pharmacist
Composing/Arranging output: all musical forms except chamber
Goal: Write emotional, impressionistic works that move the soul and make one think; also trying to develop my own distinct style
Play: Piano (advanced), viola (intermediate), French horn & clarinet (student level)

sandalwood

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2019, 09:51:46 AM »
Thanks for posting these preludes! They are a feast for the ears and the soul (for my eyes, too but those more knowledgeable on piano scoring can comment with authority on that).

I guess my favorites are the odd ones. The 1st is one of those rare works endowed with, I think, a Debussy-grade theme/motif. I had a slight discomfort with m.13 beat 1 while listening.The third is a pleasure to listen, too. Here, I kept hearing the descending 32th triplet figure as sort of alien to the piece.

I really enjoyed these preludes and look forward to hearing the rest. :)

Reha

williamhu

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2019, 08:33:27 AM »
Thank you all for the kind words, and taking the time to listen :)

Jordan, glad you picked up on some Asian influence! It's not something I consciously think about but I too have noticed that there are elements of it which come out in my writing.
Thanks for the input on the 'interpretive' phrases - I'm not entirely sure why I'm so taken with them, but I enjoy including them here and there. I think of them as a way of bridging the gap between a score and a non-score-reader.
Happy to hear you think they're fun to play! I love making pieces feel great under the hands, and any technical parts not needlessly challenging.

Reha, thank you so much for the kind words on the theme of the C Major! There is a bit of a clash on m.13, from the rising middle voice landing on a D right under the melody's E. For some reason I'd never paid too much attention to it.
The descending 32th triplet is indeed a bit of an oddity in the G Major. I thought of it a little like a 'baby gliss', which at first is a figure of uncertainty, then something perhaps more sinister during the 6/8 sections, and then finally an almost jazzy, relaxed fall into our final flourish.

Working steadily on the next few :) hope they won't disappoint!

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2019, 10:51:33 AM »
William,

Very accomplished writing. And completely pianistic.

The Debussy influence is very marked. You've absorbed that idiom well.

I wonder if a couple of them might be more accurately called etudes rather than preludes, especially number two.

I look forward to more of your pieces.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
NP3
GPO 5
JABB 3
iMac Mojave