Author Topic: G'day!  (Read 97 times)

williamhu

G'day!
« on: September 04, 2019, 11:29:29 PM »
A big hello to all you wonderful folk!

I'm Will, from Australia (soon to be studying mathematics in the UK), and I'm in love with everything music! Classically trained, I write mainly for piano solo, since it's what I have at hand and can play, but I hope that with some time and experimentation I'll be able to expand into ensemble writing.

I'm a big fan of the Russians - from the obvious choices such as Rachmaninoff and Prokofiev, to the slightly under-appreciated Scriabin, to the master of counterpoint Medtner, to the rarely-mentioned Dobrowen. The romantic and impressionist eras are my comfort zone!

I'm still working out what my own style is, but at the moment it's mostly in the impressionist tradition, with a focus on motivic relationships.

Really excited to be a part of this community!
Will

(P.S. On the very small chance that anyone has a sense of deja vu looking at some works later on, I was a member of this forum a year or two ago who got distracted by studies and fell into the account-eater! I'm hoping to be consistently active this time round :) )

Tónskáld

Re: G'day!
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 07:46:56 AM »
Welcome, Will!

I'm also a fan of the romantic and impressionist, and particularly enjoy the music of the Russian composers you mentioned. (Well, most of them... I'm not familiar with Medtner or Dobrowen.) I appreciate hearing the compositions of those who aren't "officially" trained in music—and especially those whose primary experience is in STEM programs, such as mathematics. I look forward to hearing your music!

Jordan
Tools: Sibelius 7, Windows 10, Spitfire Audio VSL, Ivory Synthogy
Day job: Pharmacist
Composing/Arranging output: all musical forms except chamber
Goal: Write emotional, impressionistic works that move the soul and make one think; also trying to develop my own distinct style
Play: Piano (advanced), viola (intermediate), French horn & clarinet (student level)

sandalwood

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 08:43:08 AM »
Welcome, from another member of the STEM club, very fond of the late romantic, impressionist and the Russo-French connection, among others. :)

Reha

RJB54

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 10:35:01 AM »
Welcome! I look forward to hearing your music.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa