Author Topic: Missa Pro Pace Mundi, mixed chorus  (Read 114 times)

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
Missa Pro Pace Mundi, mixed chorus
« on: August 22, 2019, 07:11:33 AM »
So, I think I've finished all the touch-ups on the mass.
There are new oboe parts for the 3rd and 4th movements, and major changes to the oboe part in the 1st movement.

I've altered some vocal lines (clarifying, allowing more time to breathe), and modified the harmony slightly at the bottom of the 1st page and top of the 2nd page (1st movement).

opus 22, Missa pro Pace Mundi (Mass for world peace)
for mixed chorus (SATB), oboe solo, and piano.

5 movements:

1 - Kyrie

2 - Gloria

3 - Pater Noster

4 - Sanctus

5 - Agnus Dei

The music is largely tonal, built on polychordal structures and quartal harmony that blends in and out of not-quite-standard tonal progressions.
The writing is mostly linear (ie: the conception was per line, rather than from harmony), even in the chordal passages, where the leading linear element was harmonized using concepts of counterpoint, rather than voice-leading as one would find in harmony writing.

The first movement is a more-or-less standard take on the kyrie text, with thrice repetition of the text (in this case, it's more "three larger scale repetitions made up of numerous smaller repetitions") Kyrie x3, then Christe x 3, and the return to the opening Kyria.

The Gloria is... difficult. It's contrapuntal, built over a sort of ostinato piano line, in a 3+3+2 rhythm.

I replaced the middle movement, which is traditionally the Credo, with a Pater Noster, loosely based on a Gregorian version of the melody. So this isn't a functional liturgical mass, but rather a concert work.
Here is the first new material for the oboe. There are a few repetitions throughout of the opening "pater noster" text, and the music is more "hesitant" (pauses and broken rhythms).

The Sanctus opens loudly on the same chord the Pater Noster finished with softly. After the chordal exclamation "Sanctus!", the movement is very heavily contrapuntal, basically a sequence of expositions on variations of the opening theme.

There is a spoken text near the end, between the end of the Sanctus and the beginning of the Agnus Dei. Two brief quotes from Nelson Mandela.

The last movement is a sort of berceuse. This is where the "pace mundi" comes in.

Anyway, 5 short movements, 3-5 minutes each.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

mjf1947

• Administrator
Re: Missa Pro Pace Mundi, mixed chorus
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2019, 08:02:04 AM »
Michel,

The addition of the Oboe lines enhances the tonal fabric/texture of the work.  I see you  both used the added voice with the chorus and a solo line above/through the work.  Enriching the tonal experience and providing an added floating dimension "descant" above the singers.

Very enjoyable indeed.  :)

Mark

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2019, 11:57:10 AM »
thank-you :)

the solo passages were a last-second addition.
it struck me that there were moments where the texture could use them. they are, of course, optional and can be sung by the sections as well.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

RJB54

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2019, 02:28:32 PM »
Very nice. Interesting array of colors between the voices and instruments.

Of course, the poor vocal samples available make any piece with voices sound somewhat odd. With real singers this would come across superbly.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2019, 10:50:08 PM »
Thank-you Robert.
I'm really trying to get this performed, but dammit chorus masters are such big chickenshits.
if it's not mozart, it's too modern.

sandalwood

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2019, 05:48:23 AM »
Fingers crossed for choir directors to make the right decision. :) They mostly have degrees in music as far as I know. OTOH they have their sponsors and boards to convince and expectations of the communities to consider.