Author Topic: A fun musical recommendation  (Read 93 times)

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
A fun musical recommendation
« on: August 20, 2019, 08:07:58 PM »
Usually I post didactic choices for musical recommendations, excerpts that we can learn from.
Today?
Nope!
 ;D
Today is a FUN day, with a tiny bit of "learning" mixed in.

This is a tour-de-force of vocal writing, with an absolutely masterful performance from a consummate actress and singer.

By everyone's idol, Maestro Bernstein:

https://youtu.be/EdC652e9dpE
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

sandalwood

Re: A fun musical recommendation
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2019, 05:41:57 AM »
Thanks Michel! This was fun and reminded how incredibly talented some humans can be, in writing and performing. Very humbling really...and very didactic  :)

RJB54

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 03:31:30 PM »
This is great. I love all of the different versions of Candide. BUT, you have to wonder how they ever thought that a show with music like this would ever fly for a  Broadway audience in 1956.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 04:23:29 PM »
If I recall correctly, there were still operettas being produced on Broadway in the 50's.
Chances are this wouldn't have been so different.
It's a GREAT piece, all of it. And the finale is absolutely glorious.
I'll look see if I can find a good video of it.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2019, 04:28:06 PM »
Here's that stunning finale:

https://youtu.be/nlVD-jrq_Yk

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2019, 07:51:39 AM »
Candide has always been one of my favorite musicals, since I first heard the original recording with the stunning Barbara Cook as Cunegonde and Max Adrian as Pangloss.

I saw the successful revival of the show by Hal Prince in the 1970s. It was something of a miracle, as the 1956 production — despite the popularity of the cast recording — had not been a commercial success.

Kristin Chenoweth was quite good in the 2004 concert version. Glitter and Be Gay is one of the great all-time show-stoppers.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
NP3
GPO 5
JABB 3
iMac Mojave