Author Topic: Fantasy for Oboe  (Read 803 times)

mjf1947

• Administrator
Re: Fantasy for Oboe
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2019, 08:45:54 AM »
Thank you all for the feedback.

I have a sketch for a possible third theme/section.

I present it for some of your thoughts.

I haven't decided upon the tempo as yet ... And I don't know whether it will be a good fit or whether it belongs in another work.

Mark

RJB54

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2019, 03:46:03 PM »
I think the theme is effective.

If you use it with the other sections, the transition passage to the slow section will determine how well it fits.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

@ADR2Music

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2019, 08:54:16 PM »
Mark -

I agree with RJB54: this third theme works well with the previous two movements.  My only thoughts at this early stage in its evolution are that the tempo should be slightly faster and the dynamics a little bolder.

However you decide to move ahead with this piece, I'm looking forward to hearing it.

Best,
Allen
Finale 26

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2019, 03:28:38 PM »
Okay for those following this thread......................  :angel:

Here's some more work/ideas for the third section.  Please note - still under construction~!  :o

And Yes ..... I brought back some ideas from using the themes in the string trio.  ;)

Mark

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2019, 03:07:23 PM »
Here's the finished first draft .... all movements.

I'll let it rest for  few days or so .... and look at it again with fresh eyes.

All feedback appreciated.

Mark

Tónskáld

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2019, 09:03:03 AM »
I liked this a lot! Each movement had enjoyable themes in your Franzraich-Renaissance style. :) That is beautiful writing for the oboe, so pure and uncluttered. Allows the oboist more room to exhibit his emotionality. The piano part is bare bones, but this work is clearly meant to highlight the oboe, so that may not be a bad thing.

As a nitpick, I might mention the transition from the third into the fourth movement (m109-110). The lowest note is an A in this Dmin chord, so the immediate transition to Amin seems a tad forced. You might consider adding a D below that A, or even change that final chord in m109 to an E7 (keep the D in the oboe, piano RH plays a G#, piano LH goes down to an E/B). The Amin theme would seem perfectly natural then. Ultimately, its your work so feel free to completely ignore my inane babblings.

Overall, this is very pristine. I'm enjoying getting to hear your style emerge as I listen to more of your works!

Jordan
Tools: Sibelius 7, Windows 10, Spitfire Audio VSL, Ivory Synthogy
Day job: Pharmacist
Composing/Arranging output: all musical forms except chamber
Goal: Write emotional, impressionistic works that move the soul and make one think; also trying to develop my own distinct style
Play: Piano (advanced), viola (intermediate), French horn & clarinet (student level)

mjw58

• MJW MUSIC
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2019, 11:43:55 AM »

I like this Oboe fantasy. Very nice. The movements work well together.
I especially like the opening. It is relaxing to listen to.

I think I must agree with Tonskald about bar 109-110.
And I think perhaps a variation in harmonies would make it even more interesting. But what do I know.  :)

Again, very nice.

Morten
Compositions: Wind band, Brass band and Fanfare
Platform: Windows 10
Notation: Finale 25
DAW: Cubase 8
Instrument: Bassoon, Euphonium
Day Job: TEGG Technician

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2019, 11:59:51 AM »
Jordan ... thank you so much for your kind words and feedback.

I made a modification (see attached) in the measure you suggested; although, I took a l slightly different approach.

As for the piano part .... it is obvious I am not a trained pianist.  Just some basic ability on the keyboard.

The challenge in the work was to keep the spareness of the accompaniment and NOT let the piano be too simplistic ... this is something I am struggling with at the moment.

As for  the Oboe line .... I am an Oboist .... so it definitely helps.

I'm working on the piano line in the 3rd movement..... I'll re-post soon. 

Mark

« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 03:40:21 PM by mjf1947 »

smartysocks

• Mr Mark
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2019, 12:28:12 PM »
Hi Mark ,

Sorry I am late to the party ! I very much enjoyed listening to the work over all the versions and reading the suggestions made by all during the entire process. It is inspiring for a newbie like myself to see this kind of creative collaboration in action. Congratulations to all !!

I am lousy at feedback but I will do my best.

I was thinking for the last section of the piece that instead of merely repeating the first section you could vary the rhythm of the melody, maybe anticipate or delay some of the notes of the original melody, or add only a few notes. Just thoughts.

I thoroughly enjoyed the piece, makes me want to get back at it.

Thanks for sharing Mark,

Mark

Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets; art deserves that, for it and knowledge can raise man to the Divine.

Ludwig van Beethoven

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2019, 02:54:05 PM »
For those following this thread .... I enhanced the piano accompaniment in the the 3rd section as well as tweaking a few notes here and there.

(I have a final idea ... to make the 2nd section - more renaissance dance in feel - to keep the entire work in character).

So these are the four final sections.  I may take a look at the recapitulation of the initial section to add some more variability to it; however, I am not sure.

Mark

whitebark

« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2019, 03:22:04 PM »
Hi Mark,
Your Fantasy is coming along nicely.  It has become a little suit with four distinct movement that feels quite complete. The simple modal, diatonic harmonies work with the oboe solo to give the music a nostalgic feel.   Perhaps you could add a fifth movement with a faster tempo and a lively feel between the third and last sections to give the suite a certain symmetry (slow fast slow fast slow).

Jay

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2019, 03:47:40 PM »
Jay and Mark thanks for the review and feedback.

Another movement ...... I'll have to talk to my muse ..... Or she has to whisper in my ear.   :angel:

Let's see what I can do ..... sometimes the ideas flow and at other times .........  ???
Mark

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2019, 12:46:44 PM »
Okay for those following this thread .... the Muse has spoken!

Here is the complete suite .....with an additional movement.

What do you think  ??? ..... still fussing a bit with the new movement.  ;)

Hope you enjoy it.

Mark

Tónskáld

« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2019, 04:41:21 PM »
I like the new movement quite a bit! I'm sure you have your reasons, but I would put it in the appropriate key signature (C minor from the looks of it). I don't just love the transition to the final movement, but it certainly wouldn't keep me from listening to this piece many times on repeat!

I'm glad your muse didn't take the day off!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 04:42:57 PM by Tónskáld »
Tools: Sibelius 7, Windows 10, Spitfire Audio VSL, Ivory Synthogy
Day job: Pharmacist
Composing/Arranging output: all musical forms except chamber
Goal: Write emotional, impressionistic works that move the soul and make one think; also trying to develop my own distinct style
Play: Piano (advanced), viola (intermediate), French horn & clarinet (student level)

whitebark

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2019, 06:39:29 PM »
The addition of the new faster section is welcome.  It needs expansion and more development, of course. My instinct would be to end the new section with some sort of climax and dramatic transition to the final slow section, which then would take on the nature of a cadence. Perhaps have the oboe play a solo with  a big trill at the end, which leads to the finale section?

Just some wild ideas,
Jay