Author Topic: Fantasy for Oboe  (Read 319 times)

mjf1947

• Administrator
Fantasy for Oboe
« on: August 20, 2019, 07:34:07 AM »
This is my new project.

I am posting a preliminary intro to the work.

There will be a contrasting more technically challenging mid-section at a later date.

Just thought I get some feedback.

A simple ABA format.  Another one of  my miniature compositions.

Mark

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
Re: Fantasy for Oboe
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 11:46:16 AM »
a quick comment: measures 18-20 the articulation you have written in the piano part is impossible (that low note cannot be held, while the upper parts are played staccato).
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 02:38:53 PM »
Thanks Michel,

He's a newer version with Michel's corrections ... and some more interesting changes in the piano line.

I also included the beginning of the idea/sketch I will develop in the mid-section of the work.

Mark

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2019, 06:21:31 AM »
Okay - for those following this thread.

A few tweaks to the first movement ... and a completed first version/draft of the mid-section.

I am thinking now of not doing ABA structure.

Maybe I can come up with another idea for a third section.

I'll see if the Muse move me.

Mark

PS: still have to clean up engraving ... (rests).
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 06:26:21 AM by mjf1947 »

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2019, 06:36:33 AM »
More improvements .... mid-section some editing and more interactive piano line.

Still working on the interaction between the piano line and oboe line to make it more interesting and Fun

I'm getting there step by step.  More editing to come.

Mark

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2019, 12:12:32 PM »
Okay I am satisfied with this version going forward.

I'll now need to concentrate on the 3rd section.

At the moment ... I need to sit on it a while.

Need to take out the Oboe and do some improvisations.

Mark

PS;  Thanks for hanging in there with me .................. 

whitebark

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2019, 04:46:52 PM »
Mark, your oboe fantasy is coming along nicely.  Needs more expansion and development, of course.  The fast section is very repetitive - you might start throwing in harmonic or rhythmic  surprises (like a measure with a different meter) as you develop it further.

Jay

sandalwood

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2019, 05:56:38 PM »
Mark, that's an interesting piece. I agree with Jay about the fast section. As to the slow section, I like the mood and colors you create there. While improvising you may perhaps look at adding some complexity to that section while sticking to same intervalic colors and motifs. It may as well be left alone.

Looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Reha

RJB54

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2019, 06:20:25 PM »
The opening slow section has some nice touches to it. Some polishing up (with perhaps, as others have said, a bit more harmonic variety) and it could be quite good.

I think the oboe part in the second fast section works pretty well, nice and jaunty and bucolic (at least to my ear); however, the piano part... As others have said it's repetative but I also find it to be a bit plodding and heavy and to me doesn't support the oboe very well. A lighter approach with more arpeggiated type of figures would suit the oboe part better.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

@ADR2Music

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2019, 10:13:49 PM »
Mark -

Thanks for taking all of us along with you on this journey.  It's been really fun to watch and hear this piece evolve.

Although I've enjoyed all of it thoroughly, I was especially excited to hear the faster, second (intermezzo?) section.  I think that both instruments play off of one another very well but I feel  that I have to agree with Jay's suggestion that a jump (or two) to a different key and, perhaps, a metric shift would help to provide additional variety.  Regardless of where you choose to take this section of the work, I'm enchanted by it.

Best,
Allen
Finale 26

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2019, 08:29:21 AM »
Thank you all for the detailed and wonderful feedback.

I am incorporating all the suggestions ..... it will take a bit of time.

When I am finished I will post again.

As I mentioned previously I want the mid-section to be FUN and I want to keep the good vibe going.............

You can see I worked incrementally.  I need to let things sit a bit and build the architecture one brick/note at a time.  I first get out the main idea/theme and then spice up the stew.  8)

Mark

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2019, 09:13:36 AM »
Okay .... the Muse is talking to me.

So here's some incremental progress made to the mid-section.

My objective to keep the pulse going and create enough variability to keep the listener interested.

I think there is room for some expansion too.  I like the way the top Oboe themes flow into each  other towards the end.  So that will be my next area of inquiry.

So if you care to comment on the journey please do so.  Your feedback is most encouraging and helpful.  What's music without an audience!  :angel:
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 09:17:33 AM by mjf1947 »

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2019, 12:29:46 PM »
For those following this thread ..... changes/expansion in mid-section.

Comments Appreciated .... Do you agree with the direction  ???

Mark

RJB54

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2019, 01:45:59 PM »
The fast section is much better. While keeping the piano part similar to what you had originally you've been able to lighten it up and make more supple so that it supports the oboe very well now.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

@ADR2Music

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2019, 09:20:34 PM »
Mark -

I really like the evolution of the intermezzo! It's light, jaunty and playful.  Very well done, IMHO.

I'm eager to hear what comes next!

Best,
Allen
Finale 26