Author Topic: Prelude #36 for solo piano  (Read 363 times)

@ADR2Music

Prelude #36 for solo piano
« on: August 06, 2019, 07:12:20 PM »
The first pass at this was completed today.  I have to confess that I'm not entirely sure how I feel about it but I would be glad to hear any thoughts that anyone would like to share.  Thank you in advance for your feedback and, of course, for taking the time to listen.

Best,
Allen
Finale 26

Tónskáld

Re: Prelude #36 for solo piano
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2019, 05:26:54 PM »
Hi, Allen!

I've been meaning to respond to this for days now, but time keeps slipping away from me... Overall, the piece felt like a 'variations on a theme' with a strange departure to 5/8- and 7/8-land in the middle. I didn't hate it, but I think it could use some improvement. It seemed like the melody wasn't very harmonically supported, and it was thus 'weakened' and never really brought home. I would also try to find a way to make that middle section more cohesive, more structurally related perhaps to the rest of the piece.

I know you've spent a lot of time putting this together, so I want to take a moment and recognize the hard work you've put in! It seems very thought through altogether, just needs some recalibrating overall. I look forward to your future works! Keep it up!
Tools: Sibelius 7, Windows 10, Spitfire Audio VSL, Ivory Synthogy
Day job: Pharmacist
Composing/Arranging output: all musical forms except chamber
Goal: Write emotional, impressionistic works that move the soul and make one think; also trying to develop my own distinct style
Play: Piano (advanced), viola (intermediate), French horn & clarinet (student level)

@ADR2Music

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2019, 08:23:09 PM »
Jordan -

Thanks for your thoughtful comments.  I'm very grateful to you for listening and going to the trouble of expressing your thoughts.

It's more than fair to describe the first section as variations on a theme.  My intent was to establish and maintain a relationship with a fixed key long enough for the listener to be comfortable with it before modulating to a new key.  Perhaps I lingered too long in A minor?

I can say without reservation that the second theme sprang from a very difficult time for me emotionally (lots of anger).  I needed a way to express that, to try to get it out of my system.  I think that what emerged--good, bad or otherwise--was something of a musical temper tantrum, if you will.

Best,
Allen
Finale 26

Tónskáld

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2019, 03:13:08 PM »
Jordan -

Thanks for your thoughtful comments.  I'm very grateful to you for listening and going to the trouble of expressing your thoughts.

It's more than fair to describe the first section as variations on a theme.  My intent was to establish and maintain a relationship with a fixed key long enough for the listener to be comfortable with it before modulating to a new key.  Perhaps I lingered too long in A minor?

I can say without reservation that the second theme sprang from a very difficult time for me emotionally (lots of anger).  I needed a way to express that, to try to get it out of my system.  I think that what emerged--good, bad or otherwise--was something of a musical temper tantrum, if you will.

Best,
Allen

Ah, thank you for your comments. I love knowing when bits of music are direct outpourings of someone's emotional state! By all means, then, I strongly recommend you keep that middle section. As to the possibility of lingering too long in one key, I can't say for sure. The melody might benefit from more structure, such as a cadence or something. Or it could just be me, lol. Hopefully others will weigh in and provide better feedback!
Tools: Sibelius 7, Windows 10, Spitfire Audio VSL, Ivory Synthogy
Day job: Pharmacist
Composing/Arranging output: all musical forms except chamber
Goal: Write emotional, impressionistic works that move the soul and make one think; also trying to develop my own distinct style
Play: Piano (advanced), viola (intermediate), French horn & clarinet (student level)

RJB54

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2019, 02:03:14 PM »
I feel that the middle B section doesn't really fit with the A section. Don't get me wrong, I liked it, but it doesn't really work in this context. Its like two different pieces mashed together.

I really liked the A1 part at the end. I think it would work really well if you used that more florid approach in the A section as well.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

williamhu

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2019, 11:52:32 PM »
I find the A theme incredibly charming!

I'll have to echo other comments that the A and B section seem somewhat disconnected at the moment. Perhaps with just a tiny bit of transitional material they could feel more linked? At the moment, each section simply 'concludes', and after a brief rest, the next is begun in a fairly different mood.

In terms of the first A section, it definitely has the theme + variations feel that Tonskald mentioned. I think the first moment that the harmony of the melody is fleshed out - bars 12 to 21 - are extremely pretty. I'd say however that each successive 'variation' has too much in common, construction-wise, to the previous, and coupled with the fact that the melody itself (charming as it is) remains mostly unchanged leads it to overstay its welcome just a tiny bit.
The tumbling expansion of the melody at the end is lovely though!