Author Topic: Stretto table  (Read 425 times)

Patrick O'Keefe

Stretto table
« on: August 02, 2019, 10:52:05 PM »
In (at least) one of his videos on counterpoint, Alan Belkin makes multiple references to a "stretto table" and shows an example, but I can find no definition of this table.  I would have suspected the table showing the subject against varying delay of entrances, but that didn't seem to be the case.  What is this device?

RJB54

Re: Stretto table
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2019, 10:05:21 AM »
I must say that I have never heard of a stretto table, so if you find out what he meant by that please let us know. My curiosity is now piqued. 
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 01:16:51 PM by RJB54 »
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

sandalwood

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2019, 02:17:12 PM »

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 02:48:39 PM »
The stretto table is simply all diatonic possibilities on each beat for the use of the subject against itself.
If the subject covers 10 beats, then most likely the stretto table will require 10 variants, and then each of those in all the diatonic possibilities.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 02:54:49 PM by Michel.R.E »
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"