Author Topic: decrescendo  (Read 122 times)

AO

decrescendo
« on: August 02, 2019, 01:17:49 PM »
I thought you guys could enlighten me to the proper way to notate this concept of a decaying volume in the bass viol part. A bit more controlled than a pizzicato.
This would repeat for a few measures, is there a bowing technique that would address this? or is "segue" enough? A right pointed carrot? Leave it to the conductor? Thanks,AO.

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
Re: decrescendo
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2019, 01:47:49 PM »
you're going to have to be clearer than that with what exactly you want.
you mention pizzicato, does that mean these notes are pizz.?
do you want a dim on each note? arco or pizz?
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

AO

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 06:01:28 PM »
I want a string of whole notes, arco, all diminishing in volume lets say from f to pp. Should I write that for each note, or use "simile"?

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2019, 09:11:46 PM »
I doubt the effect will be quite what you're expecting.
But you could notate 2 measures of it, then write "simile" at the 3rd measure.

It depends on the tempo.
If it's slow then it's potentially realistic and would possibly sound like what you want.
If the tempo is faster then I doubt the musicians will have the time to play a smooth loud attack with an even diminuendo. in which case you'd be better off with something like fp.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"