Author Topic: Mi Bolero-Cha  (Read 1580 times)

sandalwood

Re: Mi Bolero-Cha
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2019, 04:13:39 PM »
Thank you Mark! I appreciate your thoughtful and helpful comment. I'm glad you find things you like in the piece. I'm especially pleased you keep liking the vocal line.

First, I'm assuming you have listened to the piece with headphones because my experience is that without headphones it does sound considerably "less pleasant". I tend to agree that especially the later parts of the bolero section (before 1:50) give a somewhat "heavy" and "over-saturated" feel. This is partly why I switch to a very light texture as the Cha Cha section starts (from 1:50 on). This is also mainly why in the Bolero section I use only the saxes as harmonic pad while the vocalist sings and use the horns sections only to interject in-between the vocal phrases.  Towards the end of the bolero section it is only 1-2 horns that remain to respond to the vocalist.

I believe any of the following suffices to obtain a not-so-good sounding result: harmony, instrumentation, voicing, sound samples, mixing etc. I'll be going over each that I can modify or tweak several times more. However, I suspect another factor may be at play: the bolero section has an atypically long vocal line. I divided it into three chunks but even as such, the last chunk lasts from 1:18 to 1:50. Half a minute of non-repeating, meandering, chromatic vocal line at slow tempo! That might be a thing to consider. Anyway, I'll be looking at ways to attain better results given the vocal material.

Thanks! :)

Edit Oct 8th: Meanwhile Section B (Cha cha) is completed and the new audio and scores are below. I keep revising and trying to make up my mind whether there should be a partial reprise of the A (Bolero) section at all.

Please listen with headphones!

« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 02:31:20 PM by sandalwood »

sandalwood

« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2019, 02:30:15 PM »
I guess it's  finished! I mean contiguous timeline is finally established: I may further do some small tweaking here and there, add one or two percussion fills etc or other polishing but not much more, I hope.  I repeated the first half of the "A" section as the third leg of the ternary. I tried to present the partial reprise of "A" in a brand new wrapping that also makes an additional subtle-ish reference to the Miller part of piece's full title (Mi Bolero-Cha  a la manera de Santos y Miller). I do fear, though, some contrivance might be involved.

I believe thus will be completed my 2 pieces long, very enjoyable excursion to Latin music and tradition.  I had to read, watch, listen and learn a lot (already started forgetting many details) knowing all along that I was never past the elementary level as a student of the culture. It was nice to be an active participant for a change after being a lifelong passive recipient of the culture  and I was confident the Latin world was robust enough to survive the experience.

As to the embarrassing playback score I'm posting once again, now that the piece is virtually finished I can  finally start writing a more decent score while I do the final touches on the music. That the music would only need little tweakings, however, could be wishful thinking. I'd appreciate hearing what you think. Does the piece hold together? Do you have any remarks on the particulars? Should I expect record brands queueing at the door?

Please listen with headphones!

https://soundcloud.com/reha-artan/mi-bolero-cha-10-20/s-Zdf1U (ultimate version below at Reply #37)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 02:25:54 PM by sandalwood »

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2019, 03:25:39 PM »
Reha,

That really is the most haunting melody. I can't get it out of my head.

Congrats after all your hard work.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
NP3
GPO 5
JABB 3
iMac Mojave

sandalwood

« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2019, 03:59:00 PM »
Thank you for the kind words and the invaluable support, Jer! I'm very glad you like the melody :)

sandalwood

« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2019, 04:05:10 PM »
I may eventually decide to prune the reprise of A. That would make a piece with an "A+B" form  and with a duration of 2:45 which I believe is not too short.

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2019, 07:47:46 PM »
Yes ..... this is a fine rendition ..... I see all the hard work and progress you have made in this composition.

The harmony moves nice along, the orchestration is balanced with instruments showing their personalities with nice interludes and the percussion line interesting.

And of course the vocal line quite intriguing. 

Well done.

You certainty nailed the style.  ;D

Mark

sandalwood

« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2019, 06:22:31 AM »
Thank you Mark! I'm happy you like the piece. :)

I have a growing feeling that the reprise of A sounds contrived. I guess I'll leave it out, cutting the piece either at 2:40 after the horns break (cierre :)) or more probably at 2:54 after the clarinet+saxes repeat the intro.

sandalwood

« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2019, 08:30:15 AM »
OK here it is!

https://soundcloud.com/reha-artan/mi-bolero-cha

I feel much better with this version :)

I'll be posting a "decent" score soon according to this version.

sandalwood

« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2019, 02:21:33 PM »
So, here's a more decent score! I hope I haven't overlooked too many errors. I refrained from tinkering with the notehead types of some percussion for there's no unified practice down to every detail, anyway.

...and here's an mp3 for those not fond of clouds, boxes, etc. :)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 05:54:29 PM by sandalwood »

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2019, 09:09:13 AM »
Reha,

Really enjoyed the work.  ;D

Could you please post the score in concert pitch.

I hear something ... harmonically which I would like to examine.  It is present in measure 28 (when the soprano sings the c) and in other spots.

sandalwood

« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2019, 01:44:22 PM »
I'm happy you like the piece Mark! Thanks for looking at it in detail, I look forward to hearing your remarks :). Below is the concert pitch score (I didn't bother with the few collisions resulting from converting to concert pitch). I also renewed the transposed score, correcting a couple of overlooked half bar line violations of note values. I suspect there are still things I've failed to notice.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 05:54:55 PM by sandalwood »

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2019, 03:48:54 PM »
Take a look measure 2,  3rd beat.

chord ...  the different instruments play: f Bb Db A F D G.

Mark

sandalwood

« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2019, 07:01:20 PM »
On the clarinet&saxes, at beats "three-and" and "four-and" is a Cmaj6 chord. At beat "four" is a lower chromatic neighbour chord, a side step. At beat "three" is an approach chord from the other side, again chromatic except the A in the Tenor Sax 1. As such, it happens to be a half-dim. 9th chord on G (except the D in the piano LH) but that's not the point here. For the piano note, I guess I did not like the Db  or any other note played by the saxes (which I still don't) and instead liked the D so much that I even placed an accent on it. :)

Likewise, at beat "four", I've not strayed from staying on C (or its fifth) in the bass, instead of the obvious choice of a D# (sounding on the clarinet) which, by the way, sounds totally fine to me now. Perhaps, I meant to say, "don't mind what's happening above, it's all C!" (hi Schenker :)).

I don't know if I could make myself clear or whether these constitute a cogent reply.

Thanks again for such thoroughly looking at the piece. You know this is my first trial with big band (and second with extra-classic) writing and all remarks and advice is very much welcome.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 10:28:26 AM by sandalwood »

sandalwood

« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2019, 05:58:04 PM »
Here are the scores with the enharmonics replaced. Thanks Mark!

I suspect there are other overlooked things here and there