Author Topic: Hail and well met!  (Read 431 times)

Tónskáld

Hail and well met!
« on: July 08, 2019, 01:24:15 PM »
Greetings, my fellow composers!

I'm obviously new to the forum, and greatly looking forward to the virtual fellowship! I've been "into" music my entire life, began composing at ~16, and, as fate would have it, pursued a career in the health sciences rather than music. (It's easier to pay the bills with money than with songs.) While I don't totally regret my occupational choices, I've not had a community of musicians with which to share my creations or to encourage me to finish a project—or to give simple feedback. Music is my passion, the thing I feel I was put on this earth to do, so you can imagine my difficulty in trying to go this journey alone. Forums such as this one have become very dear to me!

I'm now in my 30s and slowly beginning to develop my own musical style. I'm not into serialism or any of the other postmodern/progressive forms of classical music—not that I don't appreciate them or those that compose in that style, they're just not for an empath like me. I like the music of a wide range of composers (except, of course, postmodern ones), but the music of Bach, Debussy and Sibelius have been the most influential. Thus, my music isn't typically loud, dramatic or invasive; it's rather subtle and a little stark, with splashes of color every now and then. Scandinavian is the best way I know to describe it.

You'll probably notice that most of my songs are in Icelandic. (In fact, my username is the Icelandic word for 'composer.') I'm not a native Icelander but I try to spend time there every year. It's a beautiful place and an ample source of inspiration... if you haven't visited, I highly recommend it!

I look forward to getting to know everyone better!

Tónskáld (Jordan)
Tools: Sibelius 7, Windows 10, Spitfire Audio VSL, Ivory Synthogy
Day job: Pharmacist
Composing/Arranging output: all musical forms except chamber
Goal: Write emotional, impressionistic works that move the soul and make one think; also trying to develop my own distinct style
Play: Piano (advanced), viola (intermediate), French horn & clarinet (student level)

Jerry Engelbach

Re: Hail and well met!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 02:54:40 PM »
Velkominn, Tónskáld.

I look forward to hearing your music.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
NP3
GPO 5
JABB 3
iMac Mojave

Tónskáld

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 02:58:43 PM »
Takk, Jer!
Goal: Write emotional, impressionistic works that move the soul and make one think; also trying to develop my own distinct style
Play: Piano (advanced), viola (intermediate), French horn & clarinet (student level)

perpetuo studens

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 05:07:52 PM »
Hi Jordan,

Welcome to the group.

Jamie
The perceived object...is not a sum of elements to be distinguished from each other and analyzed discretely, but a pattern, that is to say a form, a structure: the element's existence does not precede the existence of the whole, it comes neither before nor after it, for the parts do not determine the pattern, but the pattern determines the parts: knowledge of the pattern and of its laws, of the set and its structure, could not possibly be derived from discrete knowledge of the elements that compose it.

That means that you can look at a piece of a puzzle for three whole days, you can believe that you know all there is to know about its colouring and its shape, and be no further ahead than when you started. The only thing that counts is the ability to link this piece to other pieces...

Georges Perec - Life: A User's Manual

Tónskáld

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2019, 05:10:05 PM »
Thanks for the welcome, Jamie. Glad to be here!

RJB54

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2019, 05:18:27 PM »
Welcome! I look forward to hearing you music.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

sandalwood

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2019, 05:43:55 PM »
Welcome :)

Reha