Author Topic: Pastorale for Wind Quintet  (Read 810 times)

Tónskáld

Re: Pastorale for Wind Quintet
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2019, 02:31:44 PM »
I'm no serialist, so I can't offer any worthwhile advice on the body of the work, but I did enjoy the thematic elements throughout. It seemed quite cohesive and I was at least able to follow along (trust me, I get so lost in some modern works). The overall feeling of 'pastoral' was well-achieved, so great job!

If I may make one suggestion regarding the score, however... the hairpins tend to clutter things up, so I wonder if you might use the text cresc. and dim. to replace some of them. Aside from the usual score formatting battles (keeping the flute's high notes from eclipsing the work title header is always a treat), it looks fantastic—and a lot of fun to play! I hope you're able to have it performed!
Tools: Sibelius 7, Windows 10, Spitfire Audio VSL, Ivory Synthogy
Day job: Pharmacist
Composing/Arranging output: all musical forms except chamber
Goal: Write emotional, impressionistic works that move the soul and make one think; also trying to develop my own distinct style
Play: Piano (advanced), viola (intermediate), French horn & clarinet (student level)

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2019, 03:08:44 PM »
It's a lovely, intricate piece, with skillful use of counterpoint and the various instrumental timbres.

I have to say that upon the return of the opening theme on page 21 I expected a fairly quick resolution and ending. The material that followed felt anti-climactic to me.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
NP3
GPO 5
JABB 3
iMac Mojave

amdg

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2019, 11:20:43 AM »
Jordan, thank you for your comments.  Believe me, I've never been taken for a serialist, myself!  And I don't think anyone has ever considered me modernist! 
But I am pleased that you find the piece enjoyable.   The score, I'm afraid, is still a work in progress; and if I get to point where the music is satisfactory, I'll work on the score to whip it into shape.  Thanks for the suggestions, though.  I'll keep them in mind.

Jerry, thanks for stopping by for a listen -- as well as adding your reaction to the music.  I'm intrigued by your observation about the return to the A section of the piece.  This, taken with the overall sense of the piece by other listeners, is beginning to sharpen my re-evaluation.  This, by the way,  is where I have always found Michel's comments and critique so useful. 

Again, thanks to the both of you for taking time with this.  And welcome to the Forum, Jordan.  You'll find a great many varied styles of writing around here, and I'm betting you'll enjoy them immensely.

Sincerely,
Brian

Patrick O'Keefe

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2019, 01:24:25 PM »
I'm a bit late to the party but will comment anyway.  As others have said, there's a lot of terrific material here but the sections don't necessarily flow together well.  In fact, I occasionally feel like it has switched to another movement ... and I think that might not be a bad idea.  Maybe consider making the piece a "Suite Pastoral" - a collection of short pastoral vignettes.

This is a really good start.