Author Topic: June 2019: name the work  (Read 819 times)

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
June 2019: name the work
« on: June 12, 2019, 04:38:31 PM »
No musical excerpt, no recording (I'll add one measure of music later), only biographical information for now.

1) probably the longest work in this form at nearly 2 hours.
2) numerologically symbolic, with the numbers 9 and 13 recurring consistently throughout the work.
3) well-known composer.
4) never performed during the composer's lifetime.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

whitebark

Re: June 2019: name the work
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 08:29:50 PM »
Interesting puzzle .... haven't figured it out yet.

RJB54

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 07:28:38 AM »
I must admit that you've got me stumped.  :(
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 07:50:17 AM »
More hints:

5) While the work is nominally in 4 movements, it can be further subdivided into 27.
6) it took nearly 30 years to complete.
7) one could say it was an "audition piece".
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

sandalwood

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 11:43:19 AM »
I know someone with a keen interest in numbers and ciphers :)

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 11:47:39 AM »
take your best guess!
 ;)

sandalwood

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2019, 12:57:38 PM »
OK! Bach, as far as I know is the best known to be fascinated with such codes and riddles.

but, then so is Mozart, isn't he?

Schumann also?

the author of Enigma Variations; him, too...

Who else? many more, probably...Ravel? Honegger?...

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2019, 05:32:26 PM »
I first thought of Mahler's Tenth, but that doesn't fit the time frame or the number of movements.

Bach's Art of the Fugue came to mind, but that doesn't fit and was never finished.

Finale 26
NP3
GPO 5
JABB 3
iMac Mojave

RJB54

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2019, 05:47:45 PM »
The 'audition piece' part means that this is probably wrong but other than that I could guess Berg and Lulu. Berg was obsessed with numerology and embedding numeric symbols in his music. Lulu is the only piece he wrote which is 2+ hours. It was left 'unfinished' at his death and wasn't 'completed' until decades later. But, as I said, I don't know how 'audition piece' would fit.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2019, 08:24:31 PM »
remember the very first hint says "probably the longest work in this form at nearly 2 hours."
Lulu is an opera... there are LOTS of far longer operas.
 ;)

RJB54

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2019, 02:56:15 AM »
Right. I forgot about that one.
Frank Zappa

whitebark

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2019, 12:01:36 PM »
Well the composer isn't Beethoven or Brahms, for sure. Must be a person more exotic but still well-known. Messian perhaps?  He wrote a Concert a Quatre that was not finished in his lifetime. But I see that it is only 26 minutes long. So that's not it.

Jay

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2019, 12:31:50 PM »
If you don't want to know the answer right away, don't listen to the 1st note of this piece, probably the best known first note in the entire repertoire.

Mystery Piece (don't listen if you want to keep guessing)

Patrick O'Keefe

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2019, 09:41:25 PM »
Hmm.  A well known composer.  A piece at nearly 2 hours long may be the longest of that form.  Took 30 years (!) to complete.  And the first note gives it away so the work must be pretty familiar (or have a notorious reputation).

Does the "30 years" include time between the original composition and the extraction of a suite or some similar trick?

There are some very long symphonies, but not by well known composers.
The longest concerto I know of is a mere 70 minutes and took only a few years to compose.
As you said, it's obviously not an opera, and I assume there are ballets well over 2 hours.
I've heard there is a string quartet lasting 5 hours so that's out.

Very odd.

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2019, 12:05:59 AM »
the various parts of the work are actually drawn from multiple sources during the composer's latter years  of his career.
so no suite.