Author Topic: Another Glissando Problem with Garritan  (Read 325 times)

Jerry Engelbach

Another Glissando Problem with Garritan
« on: June 12, 2019, 08:44:22 AM »
Glissandos of less than one octave do not work in GPO5 or GIF for Finale, at least not on the Mac. I don't know about on Windows.

Here is the response and workaround I received from MakeMusic support:

"I did confirm that there is a flaw in the software that prevents the glissandi from playing back correctly in some cases. This issue can be mitigated to a degree: you can affect the way that Finale applies the glissandi using the 'Glissandi/Bends' settings in Human Playback Preferences.

"I found that the only settings that worked in this case (to any degree) were to tell Finale to use chromatic semitones to simulate (all of) the glissandi. This, of course, produces a less-than-desirable glissandi effect for the shorter runs. My best recommendation is to try adjusting these settings to suit the specific case.

"To access the Glissandi/Bends HP settings: choose MIDI/Audio > Human Playback > Human Playback Preferences..., then select the 'Glissandi/Bends' tab. Here is a link to the page from our User Manual that will help guide you:

•   http://usermanuals.finalemusic.com/FinaleMac/Content/Finale/Preferences_dialog_box.htm#HPPrefs_Glissandi_Bends

"I am going to report this to our Product Management team for further testing and disposition, and would expect this to be addressed in a future release of Finale.

"I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any questions about this.

"Cheers!

Kevin S. | Customer Support Representative | MakeMusic, Inc."
Finale 26
NP3
GPO 5
JABB 3
iMac Mojave

Ron

• Administrator
    • The Music of Ronald J Brown
Re: Another Glissando Problem with Garritan
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 08:52:49 AM »
Good luck with this Jerry. I have given up trying to get Garritan harps to play glisando.
Ron
Rules? What rules?

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 08:39:40 AM »
Ron,

The workaround they gave me a few months ago was to put the harp in Bank 2 of the Aria Player. I tried it and it did work.

Of course, I can't understand how Finale could release an update without testing every possible musical situation on it. Glissandos are not exactly obscure musical material. Everyone uses them.

I think the problem may lie in the team at Finale thinking of it primarily as a notation program, not a playback platform.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
NP3
GPO 5
JABB 3
iMac Mojave

Ron

• Administrator
    • The Music of Ronald J Brown
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 08:51:20 AM »
I used to be very active in the MakeMusic world and had telephone conversations with developers and Gary Garritan and they appeared to be trying, but since they were purchased by a third-party, they seem to have lost their passion. The strings in GPO5 are unusable and they have known this ever since it was first released--not to mention the appalling problems with GPO percussion that they have never tried to address.
Ron
Rules? What rules?

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 10:34:57 AM »
Yes, when I was first trying to figure out the glissando problem I came across older posts by you and Michel on the old MakeMusic Forum.

You looked a little younger ...
Finale 26
NP3
GPO 5
JABB 3
iMac Mojave

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2019, 01:35:50 PM »
You looked a little younger ...

it happens to the best of us
 ;)
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"