Author Topic: just for fun and interest  (Read 433 times)

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
just for fun and interest
« on: March 02, 2019, 02:19:22 PM »
Some might be interested in hearing the work from which I drew the material for the finale (Gigue) of my Concerto Grosso.

This was originally intended as "Mouvement Symphonique no2 - Gigue", a stand alone piece for VERY large orchestra.
The recording doesn't quite do it justice (the brass are lacking "punch", and the percussion is rather anaemic).
Obviously, if I were to rework this piece now, after all these years, I would probably change many things.
For example, I FAR prefer what I composed for the ending of the Concerto Grosso version (a large part of that version is new material).
I would probably expand the percussion part as well.

It's written for a very large orchestra:
piccolo
2 flutes
2 oboes
cor anglais
2 Bb clarinets
bass clarinet
2 bassoons
contra-bassoon
4 horns
3 trumpets
3 trombones
tuba
percussion
harp
strings

Anyway, here is the recording of it.
It is in three sections, the fast opening Gigue, then a slow section that re-uses the same material over gently pulsing harmony, then a fugal reprise of the Gigue (which is where most of the material for the Concerto Grosso version comes from).

http://www.dosblanc.ca/music/various_orchestra_works/Mouvement_Symphonique_no2_Gigue.mp3

Unfortunately, I don't really have a score for it (well, I DO but it's a bit of a mess). I'll post it only if there really is interest in seeing it.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 08:45:01 AM by Michel.R.E »
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

sandalwood

Re: just for fun and interest
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 06:23:20 PM »
You may have left it behind but it still sounds fun and very enjoyable to my ears. Surely has colorful and crafty orchestration, imo. I would love to see a score (the messier the better :))

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 06:50:00 PM »
hehehe thanks.
I'll see about attaching a score.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

whitebark

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2019, 07:43:07 PM »
I hope this lively and fun score gets performed in the future!

Jay

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 08:53:56 PM »
thanks Jay.
It WOULD require a massive rewrite. I'd rather incorporate the ending of the Concerto Grosso into the orchestral Gigue (listening to it I realized that there are actually percussion instruments NOT playing... where's that damned tam-tam?). I really prefer the build-up of the strings version, though I'd have to find an alternative to the reappearance of the 1st theme of the concerto grosso in the coda. It's a completely new theme unrelated to the orchestral Gigue.

Also, I'd seriously consider cutting down the orchestra to a more manageable size.

Patrick O'Keefe

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2019, 05:53:14 PM »
An interesting and enjoyable piece.  Maybe it's just the name but I think I hear a bit of Debussy's Images in it.   I didn't notice that in the Concerto Grosso.  I think the Gigue of the Concerto Grosso holds together a bit better, but this piece deserves a life of its own.  I hope you can eventually get back to working on it.

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2019, 06:54:35 PM »
thanks Patrick!
it is QUITE possible that I had been on a listening binge of Debussy at the time I wrote it ;)

RJB54

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2019, 07:55:08 AM »
Very inventive and colorful orchestration. Quite impressionistic to my ear.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa