Author Topic: December, 2019: When does a work fail to qualify as "classical music"?  (Read 1844 times)

mjf1947

• Administrator
Re: December, 2019: When does a work fail to qualify as "classical music"?
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2019, 07:08:39 PM »
Amen~!

Good advice for all.

Mark

tbmartin

• TerenceMartinSaxArranger
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2019, 07:00:16 AM »
Amen indeed.

I hate text-only communication, especially where everything is so instant. I've received so much from this forum that "text only" falls in the "better than nothing" category, but with that comes all the other shortcomings of text-only that others have mentioned.

I can only control me. I will continue to participate as time allows, which, alas, isn't much these days. All of you can and will make your own decisions on future involvement. If you decide to leave, know that I appreciate your past contributions and I will miss your ongoing contributions. 
Terence Martin

Tools: Finale 2003 on Windows XP
Day job: Actuary
Composing/Arranging output: mostly sax quartets
http://bit.ly/TerenceMartinSaxArranger
Goal: Improve quantity and quality of concert band compositions.
Play: Saxophones (all, but tenor primary), Bass Clarinet, Piano (poorly)

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2019, 01:04:26 PM »
I just want to remind members that over the years we have lost members to such squabbles as shown in this thread.

It is indeed unfortunate - however very human - many of our participants in their struggle to compose and secure recognition are very sensitive to perceived slights - intended or not.

That is why is so imperative that we all present our criticism in the most diplomatic manner; yet don't shy away from sharing your suggestions/advice/and understandings.

Let's all try be as helpful to each other and acknowledge our human musical strengths and weaknesses.

My aim as the administrator to make this the forum a constructive as well as joyful place to learn and exchange information.

I belong to other online groups (Oboe) as well.  And yes every once in a blue moon there is an incident which requires correction.

Yet, the enormous knowledge I secure and the wonderful individuals I meet make if such a wonderful encounter.

Where else does a have the opportunity to engage with world class Oboists .... eager to exchange their insights and interesting stories.

This is what we need to strive for at Compose Forums.

So please share our information and seek out new members.  If you are an alumni from a music school ... invite your professors and colleagues.  The more the merrier.

Mark

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2019, 10:50:33 AM »
And of course I welcome any comment on, or discussion of the above thoughts.
Jamie,

Thank you for the well-thought-out and very articulate post.

It's a welcome reminder that interactions that may play acceptably in personal contact don't necessarily translate accurately to text.

A good reason to be a bit careful in one's own expression and to pause before reacting to another's.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
NP3, GPO 5, JABB 3
iMac Mojave

perpetuo studens

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2019, 05:30:21 PM »
Thanks Jer. I hope I didnít come off sounding preachy or holier-than-thou. I just want everyone to get along and have fun. :)

Jamie
The perceived object...is not a sum of elements to be distinguished from each other and analyzed discretely, but a pattern, that is to say a form, a structure: the element's existence does not precede the existence of the whole, it comes neither before nor after it, for the parts do not determine the pattern, but the pattern determines the parts: knowledge of the pattern and of its laws, of the set and its structure, could not possibly be derived from discrete knowledge of the elements that compose it.

That means that you can look at a piece of a puzzle for three whole days, you can believe that you know all there is to know about its colouring and its shape, and be no further ahead than when you started. The only thing that counts is the ability to link this piece to other pieces...

Georges Perec - Life: A User's Manual

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2019, 09:52:38 AM »
Thanks Jer. I hope I didnít come off sounding preachy or holier-than-thou.
Not at all.

It was a comprehensive, direct statement of the fundamental guidelines to a civilized forum.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
NP3, GPO 5, JABB 3
iMac Mojave

sandalwood

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2019, 11:50:13 AM »
Today, Prof. Belkin posted #20 of his online lessons series "Analysis for Composers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlQoy5EuSS0

This lesson is titled "A Checklist for Musical Quality" and may have some bearing on our topic.

Patrick O'Keefe

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2019, 05:10:22 PM »
This lesson is titled "A Checklist for Musical Quality" and may have some bearing on our topic.
I find it a bit humbling to apply the checklist to my music.  The term "arbitrary" keeps popping up.

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2019, 05:59:21 PM »
Thanks for sharing .... a very fine resource indeed~!

Mark

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2019, 09:45:26 AM »
Nice. Thanks you.

Belkin's Analysis series is invaluable.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
NP3, GPO 5, JABB 3
iMac Mojave