Author Topic: Harmonic support for Solo lines.  (Read 310 times)

mjf1947

• Administrator
Harmonic support for Solo lines.
« on: May 30, 2019, 07:56:46 PM »
So I have a recording of my Oboe solo in the Brahms violin concerto movement ll.

After I listened to the movement ... I was a bit disappointed because I didn't feel the resonance of the line really shined. I wondered why?

So I did a YouTube search and I came upon this master class.

I think the manner in which the Master Oboist (one of my favorites) explains the movement is quite superb.  I think there is an important lesson here for conductors and composers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7J9WHty_n4

By the way ... my conductor commented on my lovely tone and playing and I did get a nice round of applause during rehearsals.

Yet, the recording was NOT satisfying - there is not enough emphasis on the underlying ensemble  - woodwind choir.  Too many intonation concerns by other orchestra wind players as well as the need to breathe together.  Without the Harmonic support o the ensemble ... the Oboe line suffers.

The is a community orchestra ...

Anyway here's the audio file.

Mark

« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 05:03:09 AM by mjf1947 »

Jerry Engelbach

Re: Harmonic support for Solo lines.
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2019, 08:11:41 AM »
Very informative video, Mark. The two oboes are amazing.

Your playing in your orchestra was excellent. You really are good! But as you said, the intonation problems behind you were all too obvious.

I listened to this while following the score to hear it as the orchestra should sound.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWGrZgRf8wo

Thank you for the lesson.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
NP3
GPO 5
JABB 3
iMac Mojave

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2019, 08:23:34 AM »
Yes.... it's so much lovelier with the full support of the ensemble.

Mark

sandalwood

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2019, 03:10:41 PM »
Mark, this is REALLY a lovely tone and first-class musicianship imo, congratulations! Thanks to you and Jer for the links to  instructive vids.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 03:38:55 PM by sandalwood »

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2019, 04:18:25 PM »
By the way ... I sent the conductor the link.  At Saturdays rehearsal he worked on the woodwind ensemble.

Today's concert went very well ... received some nice compliments from my fellow musicians ... so much more to learn and integrate.  Good news though ... no crazy anxiety ... just normal performance tension/anticipation.  Little by little I am getting where I want to be.  It is HARD work!.  Thank you all for the positive feedback.  ;D

Mark