Author Topic: Concerto Grosso movement III  (Read 991 times)

Jerry Engelbach

Re: Concerto Grosso movement III
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2019, 10:29:40 AM »
Jay,

Exciting and ambitious stuff, as always. Great use of textures, dynamics, rhythmic variety.

In this movement the harpsichord feels to me like filler rather than the lead.

It's a bit of a shock towards the end when the harmony turns tonal. I'm not sure that's as satisfying as the harmony earlier.

It's very enjoyable watching your progress with the whole piece.

Cheers,
Jer
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 10:32:52 AM by Jerry Engelbach »
Finale 26
NP3
GPO 5
JABB 3
iMac Mojave

sandalwood

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2019, 01:38:39 PM »
Jer, you were shocked with the tonal passages and I have found others sounding menacing and unsettling. That reminds me of a joke I had heard decades ago: It seems there was a loud discussion on a train between two elderly ladies. One said she'd die in no time if the window was opened and the other said she'd die even sooner if  it was kept closed. It got so loud and disturbing that finally an elderly gentleman said, "OK, let's first open that window ..."  :)

whitebark

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2019, 08:52:45 PM »
Funny about the elderly ladies  :)  Hi Jer, thanks for sticking with me through the five months I took to compose all this! I'm still trying to decide whether the strongly tonal ending with the simple triad chords represents  a pleasant surprise or an unforgivable lapse in musical taste.   

Jay
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 08:23:40 PM by whitebark »

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2019, 01:17:00 PM »
[Chuckle].

How about "a pleasantly surprising lapse in taste"?

I'm drawn to iconoclasts.

Cheers,
Jer
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 01:21:40 PM by Jerry Engelbach »
Finale 26
NP3
GPO 5
JABB 3
iMac Mojave

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2019, 01:20:34 PM »
Jer, you were shocked with the tonal passages and I have found others sounding menacing and unsettling. That reminds me of a joke I had heard decades ago: It seems there was a loud discussion on a train between two elderly ladies. One said she'd die in no time if the window was opened and the other said she'd die even sooner if  it was kept closed. It got so loud and disturbing that finally an elderly gentleman said, "OK, let's first open that window ..."  :)

I'm equally shocked by that joke!

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
NP3
GPO 5
JABB 3
iMac Mojave

sandalwood

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2019, 05:49:39 AM »

I'm equally shocked by that joke!

Cheers,
Jer

Jer, I understand you feel offended by that joke. It never occured to me that joke could be offensive at all to anyone. I was apparently wrong and that's thoughtless of me, I sincerely apologize. I know I can sometimes be clumsy and careless without ever intending to offend.

Reha

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2019, 11:05:50 AM »
Reha,

What? No. My fault. I was joking. Sometimes my attempt at humor is too edgy. I should have used a sarcasm symbol (/s) as well as the exclamation point.

Sorry if I gave the wrong impression. I didn't mean "shock" in a bad way.

Sent you a PM as well. Keep the jokes coming.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
NP3
GPO 5
JABB 3
iMac Mojave

sandalwood

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2019, 01:24:04 PM »
Jer, that was a big relief! Though I could not understand how I did it, I was really sorry I hurt your feelings.

...and sorry Jay for distracting your thread for a false alarm!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 01:26:52 PM by sandalwood »

Patrick O'Keefe

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2019, 02:03:08 PM »
I'm still trying to decide whether the strongly tonal ending with the simple triad chords represents  a pleasant surprise or a lapse in taste.   
Well, it doesn't come across as out of character with the rest of the movement.  Tonal, but not out of place.  Sort of like the last note in Bartok's Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta.