Author Topic: NotePerformer3  (Read 618 times)

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
NotePerformer3
« on: May 27, 2019, 01:19:55 AM »
I thought I had seen a topic on the new version of NotePerformer coming out, but I can't find it. It may have been simply a comment in the middle of another thread.

Anyway, I broke down and bought the upgrade to Finale (26.1) AND NotePerformer3.

I had a tiny bit of trouble getting it to play back at first, but then eventually got some sound out of it.

I gave it, as a test the 1st movement of my 2nd symphony: it's large, varied, wide range of dynamics and complex orchestral textures.
I have to say that I was blown away by the result... and this was before I had the chance to do any tweaking. I imagine once I get all the proper articulations working, and dynamics set up properly, it will sound pretty damned good.

I'll see about making a sample recording from the original GPO file and one from NotePerformer3.

Its ONE big weakness is, of course, the strings, which sound a bit too "zingy". I suspect this will always be the case with sample libraries. I have yet to hear one that doesn't give me that impression, even among really expensive ones.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 12:07:07 PM by Michel.R.E »
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

whitebark

Re: NotePerformer3
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2019, 10:26:07 AM »
Welcome to the NotePerformer club, Michel!  I've always liked the results I get from NotePerformer.

Jay

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2019, 04:51:18 PM »
Well, I've tried a bunch of orchestral scores, including three of my four symphonies. The soprano voice actually sounds not bad for a simple "ahh" sample.

Where NotePerformer3 is much weaker is with strings, particularly solo strings. I tried my violin concerto, and my Concerto Grosso, and was not convinced.

But, that said, purely orchestral works sound absolutely amazing. The brass are glorious, the woodwinds are nice (though I do prefer those from XSamples).

I don't think I can use other libraries at the same time as NotePerformer3? I haven't tried yet.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2019, 02:57:34 PM »
Here's a demo of the last two movements of my 1st symphony.

You can hear that the strings are not all that, though still pretty good.
I can't say I'm impressed by the tone quality of the oboe/cor anglais samples. The other woodwinds aren't bad.
Where NotePerformer3 really shines, however, is with the brass.

Adagio and Ricercare from "Symphony in C", opus 34

whitebark

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2019, 07:56:47 PM »
The NotePerformer version of your symphony sounds grand, a satisfying performance to be sure. It would be interesting to hear a version done with your other sample libraries for comparison.

One thing nice about NP is that downloading it is easy due to its compact size, less than one gig.  In contrast, the best sample library for Sibelius tops 30 gigs when you don't use NP.

-Jay

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2019, 09:17:59 AM »
Oh, I forgot to post the GPO version... here it is:

Symphony no.1 GPO version

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2019, 09:19:26 AM »
One thing nice about NP is that downloading it is easy due to its compact size, less than one gig.  In contrast, the best sample library for Sibelius tops 30 gigs when you don't use NP.

-Jay

The audio files created with it seem quite a bit larger, however.
I don't know if this is an artifact of Finale 26.1 however. It would seem NP3 doesn't work with previous versions of Finale so I can't test out file size.

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2019, 01:46:02 PM »
Michel,

The NP3 version sounds more "smoothed out," almost homogenized. It's certainly clean and pleasant to listen to, but at times it almost seems like an organ rather than groups of different instruments. It feels more "digitized."

The GPO version doesn't blend as well, but it's grittier, and there seems to be more differentiation in timbre among the instrument groups. The strings sound more like real instruments made of wood and strings. It feels more "analogue."

Cheers,
Jer

Finale 26
NP3
GPO 5
JABB 3
iMac Mojave

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2019, 02:02:31 PM »
I wonder if listening through headphones might make a difference?
I prefer the NP3 version, quite honestly... though I'd replace that oboe solo. It's absolutely not to my liking.

whitebark

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2019, 04:49:52 PM »
The two recordings provide a nice comparison between  GPO and NP sound. I personally like the NP version better.

J

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2019, 09:00:55 AM »
Jay,

You have certainly mastered the ability with NP to produce crystal clear scores, of which I'm in awe.

I may download another demo of it and see if I have better luck than I did last time.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
NP3
GPO 5
JABB 3
iMac Mojave

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2019, 08:06:28 AM »
I'm really enjoying NP3.
I spent part of this morning working on the 1st movement of my 2nd symphony, making minor tweaks here and there, changing a few notes that didn't quite sit right with me, altering some phrases.
I ended up adding a few cymbal rolls, and it was a breeze once I figured out HOW to do it.

Gotta say, adding cymbal certainly brightens a score! LOL

Patrick O'Keefe

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2019, 10:40:06 AM »
NP is certainly a great sound library for the prices, and in many cases is very good regardless of the price.  Arne Wallander has done an incredible job with the product.   And considering that he originally wrote it as an extension to Sibelius (I think bypassing some of the regular VST interface stuff), it's truly amazing he now has it working with Finale and Dorico.

In the past NP the sound from NP improved as the size of the ensemble increased; solo instrument sound could be pretty unrealistic.  That is much less the case now.

One thing to watch out for: the sound of specific instruments can change from release to release.  NP is a combination of sampled and synthesized sound; changes to the synthesis algorithms can have large and not always welcome effects.  There have also been some complaints from jazz composers that the "humanization" algorithms mess up the intended rhythms.  (Why that should be the case for jazz but not classical music, I have no idea.) 

In any case, it's a good idea to keep copies of the current download just in case the next one isn't to your liking.  Also, keep Arne's email address handy and let him know when something isn't working right.  He's usually very responsive to questions and complaints.

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2019, 11:04:20 AM »
I haven't been able to find any sort of "support" for NP3, however.
Where did you find the email?

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2019, 01:26:57 PM »
I haven't been able to find any sort of "support" for NP3, however.
Where did you find the email?
On the web site, hit Support at the upper right. Select your Notation Platform and scroll down to the bottom of the page for the support form.

I had questions about NP3 without being a purchaser and Arne answered them personally in an email.

Cheerrs,
Jer
Finale 26
NP3
GPO 5
JABB 3
iMac Mojave