Author Topic: Theme for my next prelude for solo piano  (Read 750 times)

@ADR2Music

Theme for my next prelude for solo piano
« on: July 02, 2019, 12:50:17 PM »
This melody just popped into my head and I thought I'd use it as the primary them for my next prelude.  Since I just rejoined the forum, I thought I'd put it out for commentary.  I like it as it is, but wondered if anyone had any thoughts.

Thanks!

Finale 26

mjf1947

• Administrator
Re: Theme for my next prelude for solo piano
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2019, 01:00:18 PM »
Go for it.  It has a nostalgic/mysterious feel to it.

I would be interested to see what you can do with it.

Mark

PS: Welcome to the Forum again.  :)

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • M.Mus (composition) Finale 26, NP3, GPO5
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 01:21:42 PM »
measure 4, left hand, beat 1, last 8th, I'd suggest changing from that C to an E.
that would avoid the clunky direct octave, as well as the lack of colour that unison causes, and give the left hand something a tiny bit more melodic through that wider leap. It would also create a nice parallel line between the hands with the E moving down to D#, etc...
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

sandalwood

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2019, 02:35:06 PM »
I think it totally depends on context and how it is handled. A sequence repeated that many times could possibly help create a remarkably dense mood. On the other hand sequences may bear risks,  as Izotov teasingly shows here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zpI3NWU6FQ

I humbly think you should stick with  your theme if you have faith in it.

@ADR2Music

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2019, 09:54:47 PM »
Michel, you were quite right.  Thank you for your keen eye!

Here's a first pass at a developed first theme.  For the most part, I like it but it feels a bit "boxy" to me.  I feel as though I'm having trouble connecting variations on the original idea to one another.  Do you think so as well or am I imagining it?

Your thoughts are always welcome and thanks for taking the time to listen.
Finale 26

Tónskáld

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2019, 03:07:57 PM »
I played the entire thing on the piano and it came out quite nicely! It's a sweet, subtle melody—relaxing, even—and the modulations kept my fingers (and brain) busy. I rather enjoyed it! You might consider changing up the sequences a little bit, though; it's sometimes annoying as a pianist to only play accompaniment with the left hand and give all the action to the right. Just a tiny suggestion!

Keep up the good work!