Author Topic: New Finale to Violin Concerto  (Read 70 times)

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
New Finale to Violin Concerto
« on: May 15, 2019, 09:32:33 AM »
This is the (hopefully) final version of the last movement of the Violin Concerto, opus 44.
The playback isn't perfect, there are a bunch of weird little slide effects as the violin switches layers for certain techniques (like at the end of a trill).

I'm not including the complete score, but am including the piano reduction of the orchestra part.

Presto from Violin Concerto

In the score, the Presto starts on page 24. Admittedly, it's not the best reduction, but it's quite difficult to go from an orchestra part to a piano reduction particularly when there is a lot of crossing of voices.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

whitebark

Re: New Finale to Violin Concerto
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 12:48:34 PM »
Bravo!  Audiences will love this lively and engaging movement! 

Jay

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 01:23:45 PM »
thanks Jay.
the violinist I have in mind is excellent and aggressive. she would really do this movement justice.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 04:27:23 PM »
Bright sunshine throughout. 

Very upbeat ... exciting lovely phrasing and cadenzas.

It was a pleasure listening to the movement.

The accompaniment fitted perfectly with the violin solo and your intent.

You do have a wonderful understanding of the strings and use it to bring out all the colorful technical fireworks and nuance.

Bravo~!

Mark

sandalwood

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 09:07:01 AM »
I agree with Jay that the audiences (the soloists as well) will love this and I mean the whole Concerto, of course. I'm guessing they'll all be already overwhelmed by the end of Elegy. :)

I wish this Concerto a brilliant career as it well deserves!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 09:16:45 AM by sandalwood »

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2019, 09:30:24 AM »
thank-you Reha.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I can convince a couple of violinists to add it to their repertoire.
It does have the advantage of not requiring a full orchestra. It's doable with as few as a dozen musicians (apart from the soloist), though it will sound better with closer to 20.
The Adagio is the only movement that has any significant divisi passages. I purposely wrote them in soft dynamics and as very textural "background" effects (except for the very opening of the Adagio).
Otherwise the concerto relies on double-stops in the orchestra to create more density of texture.

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2019, 08:25:36 PM »
Well, it looks like this won't be the final version of the movement after all!
I've been playing around with the opening measures and found something I like better, and I now feel that the new cadenza is a tiny bit too long.
The ending also doesn't quite "drive forward" enough for my taste.
I have some ideas, I'll look at that this week.