Author Topic: The Three Music-a-Teers  (Read 111 times)

Medievalwarfare

The Three Music-a-Teers
« on: May 08, 2019, 05:30:26 PM »
Clarinet, Horn, and Tuba trio piece.

The piece is about a group of three traveling musicians that stop at a bar, get drunk, and then go on their way. It's in ABA' form, and isn't too complex beyond the key signature (B Major). Of course, criticism is allowed and encouraged.

*I am aware the key signature is not in the right place when the piece modulates to Eb Major. I had tried to fix this in my software to no avail.

Score:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/l3b70qscv7ecg7m/The%20Three%20Music-a-Teers.pdf?dl=0

Audio:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/v539d1o6u8tcpzl/The%20Three%20Music-a-Teers.mp3?dl=0

mjf1947

• Administrator
Re: The Three Music-a-Teers
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 05:39:04 PM »
Hi,

My first question:  Why Clarinet, Horn and Tuba?

When you choose a combination of instruments think about the context of your expressive idea.  Does the sonority of the instruments fit the mood?  Furthermore, does the fabric/texture of the instruments make sense?

As for the composition.  The thematic material needs to be more apparent as well as the harmonic movement.  At the moment I find it difficult to follow your ideas as presented.

Why not write a woodwind duet/trio?  Decide what tonal fabric you want. Try different combinations and see how they feel to you.

Mark

Medievalwarfare

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 06:02:32 PM »
To answer your question, I asked someone else to choose what instruments I should use for a new piece, and these are the instruments they instructed me to use.

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 05:18:45 AM »
I am curious to know the logic in their suggestion.

Mark

amdg

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 06:34:57 AM »
Hey, Everyone:

Personally, I find this type of thing a fascinating exercise.  Every once in a while I'll look over some of the competition websites for unusual instrument combinations, and then sometimes I can cobble together a little piece based on that given set.  Perhaps similar to the old puzzles and challenges which were once common on this forum.

The challenge, though, is to find out about the instruments and write idiomatically for them.  It doesn't work out so well just to plug new instruments into a pre-conceived musical lines.  The fun of this exercise is to discover the strengths and weaknesses of each instrument and how it can be made to fit together in a musically satisfying way. 

Good luck with this and any future suggestions from your friends.

Brian

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2019, 01:29:47 PM »
The theme is certainly spirited, and a good departure point.

I have two concerns with the composition.

One, I don't hear any chords or harmonic blending, either because of the lack of them in the piece itself or the disparate instrumental timbres.

Two, the movement is static. There is no contrary motion among the voices.

I think three drunken guys would be careening into each other with contrary motion, as well as singing offkey in barbershop chords and in going musically in different directions.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
GPO 5
JABB 3
iMac Mojave

Medievalwarfare

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2019, 05:30:00 PM »
Thank you, I will definitely take your advice into consideration. There were some specific chords in this piece but nothing to complex because often the piece lost its direction when I tried to balance the harmonies while also maintaining the theme and giving myself ways to vary it. I believe Iíll be able to solve this issue and build upon the piece once I gain more experience.

Still, your suggestions have proven valuable to me.