Author Topic: Michel Edward: Elegie for Violin and Orchestra  (Read 424 times)

Patrick O'Keefe

Michel Edward: Elegie for Violin and Orchestra
« on: May 06, 2019, 02:21:58 PM »
Sunday, May 19th 6:00pm
Michel Edward: Elegie for Violin and Orchestra

The Octava Chamber Orchestra
Maple Park Church
17620 60th Ave. W Lynnwood
(A few miles - also a few kilometers - north or Seattle, WA  USA)

Now, it's possible that there is more than one composer named Michel Edward, and it's possible that the Octava Chamber Orchestra performs works by both of them, but I doubt it.

whitebark

Re: Michel Edward: Elegie for Violin and Orchestra
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 04:24:46 PM »
That's great news.  It is always nice to see one of our Compose Forums composers getting a performance. I'll try to get to the concert, although I am often out on hikes on Sunday.

Jay
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 04:44:35 PM by whitebark »

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 06:48:47 PM »
yup, that's the middle movement of my violin concerto.
fingers crossed that they do a good job. I'd love a good recording of that movement.
the hefty cadenza for the soloist in the middle of the movement is... challenging.

in related news, I'm writing a new alternate cadenza for the 3rd movement of the concerto. the original one remains, but this longer and more demanding one will be there as an alternative version for those who want to.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

sandalwood

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 06:50:40 PM »
Break a leg!
 :) :) :)

(did I get it right?)

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 10:17:08 PM »
I hope you aren't suggesting that Jay break a leg while out hiking!?!?!?! :o

Although... that WOULD be a way of getting him to the concert: "See? You can't go hiking anyways!"
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

sandalwood

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 08:14:29 AM »
No, that "wishing well" was addressed to you. However, seeing all those question and exclamation marks in your reply I had to go and check again with some trepidation whether my memory had betrayed me about that usage.

As to Jay, he already said (as if he knew) he would attend ! Otherwise, not leg but a foot injury would be more composer-ly, like the one Luly had IIRC, when he very badly injured his foot while passionately beating time on the floor with a heavy cane during a rehearsal.

I wish I lived nearby so I could attend as well.

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 08:26:30 AM »
I wish I lived nearby so I could attend as well.

I was only teasing with the whole "break a leg" thing... yes, that was the absolutely correct usage of the expression.

And I ALSO wish I lived nearby to attend the concert. I just can't afford the $1,000+ plane fare.

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2019, 01:39:05 PM »
Apparently the rehearsals this past week-end went very well, and the music was much appreciated by the musicians.

RJB54

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2019, 05:40:07 PM »
That's good to hear. Musicians always play better when they like the music.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2019, 09:44:54 PM »
Oh, I'm very happy to say that the newly rewritten cadenza for the final movement of the concerto is now finished. It's a brick to play.  :angel:

RJB54

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2019, 11:30:53 AM »
It's a brick to play.

As well it should.

After all, a performer of a virtuosic concerto should be expected to handle virtuosic material. If they can't they shouldn't be playing it, right?
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

whitebark

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2019, 08:07:35 PM »
I attended the Octava concert and can report that the Elegie went well. It was a pleasure to listen to. Good solo violin playing by Mathew Weiss. I also got to meet our very own Patrick, who, as it turns out, lives only a few blocks away in lovely Wedgwood, Seattle. That was a surprise!   A small world, indeed.

Jay

Patrick O'Keefe

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2019, 08:21:55 PM »
I agree with Jay.  Of course a composer's ears always hear things differently than the audience's ears so we may have may have missed things, but it sure sounded good to me.

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2019, 08:44:43 PM »
thanks guys.

The conductor called me from his car on the way home, and he seemed very happy, even of the Poulenc which is particularly difficult.

I can hardly wait to hear the recording.

whitebark

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2019, 02:32:52 PM »
The Poulenc was indeed difficult, and the orchestra mostly survived intact. Mistakes occurred here and there but the performance was musical and enjoyable all the same. What an entertaining romp that piece was - the absurd ending gave me a chuckle. The fast runs in the 4th movement certainly pushed the violins to the limit.

Perhaps the only problem with the Elegie was that the orchestra seemed a bit loud relative to the violin solo.  That hall seems to really amplify the sound of the orchestra.

Jay