Author Topic: Triology for English Horn and Strings  (Read 83 times)

mjf1947

• Administrator
Triology for English Horn and Strings
« on: April 08, 2019, 07:24:54 AM »
I decided to work on the composition once more.

I did some judicial editing - key changes to enhance play ability  etc ... and of course tweaks in phrases and notes.

I have a fond place for this piece.

The work is in three stories (sections) ..... a young man on the way to meet his gal.

Wondering About You

Your Presence within

Arms About You

The last section a simple waltz and embrace.

All comments welcome.  I haven't shared this one with my mentor as yet.

It is a composition I would like to continue to work on.

Mark
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 07:27:19 AM by mjf1947 »

RJB54

Re: Triology for English Horn and Strings
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2019, 06:34:50 AM »
A very pleasant, enjoyable, piece.

I did think it tended to be a little samey though. Some contrasting material along the way would be good. Maybe not even new material, perhaps some relatively quick modulatory digressions would do the trick.

You have a lot of engraving issues at the moment. There are collisions, errant slurs, and crescendos and diminuendos with no dynamics indicating how much louder or softer the player should go.

I would definately continue work on this polishing it further and making it even better.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2019, 07:45:56 AM »
A very pleasant, enjoyable, piece.

I did think it tended to be a little samey though. Some contrasting material along the way would be good. Maybe not even new material, perhaps some relatively quick modulatory digressions would do the trick.

You have a lot of engraving issues at the moment. There are collisions, errant slurs, and crescendos and diminuendos with no dynamics indicating how much louder or softer the player should go.

I would definately continue work on this polishing it further and making it even better.

Thanks for the review.

I agree some new material definitely would enhance the piece.  I'll attend to the engraving issues.

And Yes .... Pleasant is a good description of the work.  The work is meant to be a pleasant walk down the street on a sunny day while thinking lovely thoughts.

Mark

PS: I already started to enhance the second section .... looking forward to meeting with my mentor in 2 weeks.  :angel:
      This surely is a great forum...it keeps me going.  8)

« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 08:20:18 AM by mjf1947 »

smartysocks

• Mr Mark
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2019, 09:25:14 AM »
Hi Mark

This piece obviously comes from a good place. I can imagine a stroll with my gal.

I like the second section a great deal! A nice contrast to the first section. The third section ... maybe some brief tempo changes rit and accell.? Or maybe a little more rhythmic play between the eng horn and viola? They would still be dancing together, but be separate people.

Thanks for sharing !

Mark
Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets; art deserves that, for it and knowledge can raise man to the Divine.

Ludwig van Beethoven