Author Topic: Courtesy Mute Indications For Strings  (Read 617 times)

RJB54

Courtesy Mute Indications For Strings
« on: April 07, 2019, 07:42:58 AM »
I known this was discussed at one point in the past but I don't remember what the resolution was and I can't find the thread at the moment.

When applying a 'Con sord.' or 'Senza sord.' indicator does one put the appropriate indicator at the first muted/unmuted note AND an indicator immediately after the last unmuted/muted note as a courtesy indicator (warning)?

Also, can one indicator serve both purposes if there is not much time between? For example, bar 20 is unmuted and bar 22 is muted. Would placing a single 'Con sord.' indicator in bar 20 or 21 suffice? Or would it be appropriate to have a courtesy 'Con sord.' in bar 20 or 21 and then the actual 'Con sord.' in bar 22?

Thanks in advance.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
Re: Courtesy Mute Indications For Strings
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 09:59:54 AM »
generally, con sord. and senza sordino (or "no mute" or "remove mute", depending on which language you use) can be placed once, at the points that are affected.

I tend to use "via sordino" for "remove mute" and place it at the end of a muted passage. this is a SLIGHTLY different indication since it says when to remove the mute, rather than how to play (with or without a mute).

I'd avoid the use of "courtesy" markings for this. If you simply write "ord." (short for "ordinario", or ordinary in english) then simply write it where the new passage without mute starts. Same goes for "senza sord.".
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

RJB54

Re: Courtesy Mute Indications For Strings
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2019, 03:58:06 PM »
OK, thanks.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa