Author Topic: Septet  (Read 506 times)

Patrick O'Keefe

Re: Septet
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2019, 11:38:19 AM »
However, in toto, it feels a bit 'samey' to me. You have the eighth-sixteenth-sixteenth motive all over the place. You could get some development going and increase the variety by changing that motive around a little here and there. Change it to an eighth note triplet in spots, for example, or have it be sixteenth-sixteen-eighth, or change the melodic dyad into a three note arpeggio, and so on. This would liven up the motive and help keep it from getting repetitive.
I've been buried in non-music for the past few weeks.  I've made lots of changes but haven't put together a clean version to post.  And now I'm afraid the changes I've made have probably made it even more "samey".  Maybe I'll try some of your suggestions before posting a new copy.

Patrick O'Keefe

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2019, 08:42:00 PM »
The link at the beginning of this thread now point to an updated version.  I probably won't be able to attend to any comments for a few days.

Patrick O'Keefe

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2019, 09:11:19 PM »
I had forgotten this thread.  The piece is now definitely a multi-movement work  The 1st movement is essentially (except that I tweak it every week or so). The 2nd movement is complete until I decide it's not.  The 2nd movement is undergoing changes to be posted soon.   At least the form is pretty much set.  It's ABA form with the A section slow, The slow, quiet section returns, and is obviously modeled on the initial A section, but the motifs have changed a bit and are in a different order.

I have not started thinking about the 3rd movement, but it will probably be the last movement.   
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 10:11:29 AM by Patrick O'Keefe »