Author Topic: Study in C,  (Read 799 times)

AO

Study in C,
« on: March 09, 2019, 02:09:11 PM »
I would like to post this little study I started last month, any suggestions welcome.

https://soundcloud.com/user-81679120/study-in-c-feb-2019

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • M.Mus (composition) Finale 26, NP3, GPO5
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
Re: Study in C,
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2019, 02:40:44 PM »
I am rephrasing my response because after rereading it I realized it might come off as rather gruff and sarcastic. It wasn't meant to be.

First question: how many of each woodwind did you plan on using?

At the beginning it's written "flutes 1 and 2, oboes 1 and 2" etc... and yet in the last measures you require 3 of each instrument.
Do you, perchance, play in a band? (ie: wind band, concert band)
Unlike in a band, in an orchestra, there are exactly the number of woodwinds written on the opening page. So if it says flutes 1 and 2, that's because there are two flutes. Not two flute parts played by multiple flutes. Just the two players.

Woodwinds are usually set up as pairs of each instrument (ie: 2 flutes each with an individual line, 2 oboes, 2 clarinets, 2 bassoons).
Auxiliary instruments (piccolo, english horn, bass clarinet, and contrabassoon) are exactly that - auxiliary. In other words, either the 2nd or 3rd player (2nd if there are two players, 3rd if there are 3) of that section plays the auxiliary instrument (for example 2nd flute or 3rd flute playing piccolo, 2nd or 3rd oboe playing english horn, etc...)

woodwinds by 3's is a very large orchestra.

The  best thing to do would be keep the ideas you've written down, and start over, use your woodwind and brass section a bit differently. You have to balance it out, spread them out across their ideal registers.
Notice that your flutes are in the same register as the oboes. This doesn't really work in forte dynamics.
Flutes get softer the lower they are in their range, and oboes, inversely, get softer in the higher part of their range. This is one of the reasons we so often see orchestrated parts where the flutes and oboes double each other but one octave apart.

By the way, your "study in C" ends in A... maybe a better title for it ;)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 06:19:08 PM by Michel.R.E »
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

Jerry Engelbach

• Engelbach Music
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 10:25:09 AM »
Arthur,

"Study" is an apt word.

It looks like you're trying out different combinations of instruments and various kinds of effects.

I would continue in this vein, building up a repertoire of ideas to eventually use in a composition.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
NP3, GPO 5, JABB 3
iMac Mojave

sandalwood

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 02:27:33 PM »
I agree with Jer. This sounds like an excerpt from a much longer work, a movement, perhaps, and sounds fine to my ears. I was a bit puzzled by the repeating cymbal crashes, unable to place them in a broader context.

Nice to see your monthly studies resume full steam ahead :)

AO

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2019, 03:16:37 PM »
Thank you so much for taking the time to listen to my last months' study, your suggestions are always very helpful. I will reconsider the cymbals and I will rename the piece to "It's Mueller Time" ;)