Author Topic: What blends with Piano  (Read 838 times)

Medievalwarfare

What blends with Piano
« on: March 19, 2019, 07:52:27 AM »
I want to create a piece with a piano being the solo instrument. What instruments blend well with a piano?

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
Re: What blends with Piano
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 08:35:21 AM »
you want to create a "solo" piece for piano... so you're not looking for something that "blends" but something that will allow you to bring out the piano's unique sonority against whatever instrumental background you use.

Start with something simple. A string ensemble  for example (1st violins, 2nd violins, violas, celli, and contrabass).

It's important that you learn how to use each part of the orchestra efficiently and to its greatest effect.

Because of volume limitations inherent in the instrument itself, you would avoid placing a piano against a background of just brass... or you'd face having to always write soft brass, or loud piano, or just constantly contrasting the two without really ever bringing them together.

woodwinds are a good ensemble to accompany a piano. for example a quintet with piano, flute, oboe, clarinet, and bassoon, or a sextet with the same ensemble plus horn.

As such, to answer ONLY the question in your thread title: nothing actually "blends" with piano.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 03:48:20 PM by Michel.R.E »
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

Medievalwarfare

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 10:03:00 AM »
Thank you for the input.

gogreen

• Art on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 02:29:49 PM »
I agree with Michel. I'd try a wind quintet or a string ensemble. I might also try a saxophone quartet and piano, or even a percussion ensemble and piano. Because I'm far more familiar with wind instruments, I'd opt for piano, flute, oboe, clarinet, bassoon, and French horn; or piano and saxophone quartet. So go with what's most familiar.

flint

• Crazed weasels in a man costume
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 04:45:43 PM »
I don't count the Piano as blending with anything but other percussion instruments. It does complement many other instruments/groups, however.
"Music is like wine; the less you know about it, the sweeter you like it." - Robertson Davies