Author Topic: Sept Petits Humoresques (pour quatour de cor anglais)  (Read 563 times)

flint

• Crazed weasels in a man costume
Sept Petits Humoresques (pour quatour de cor anglais)
« on: April 23, 2019, 10:23:40 PM »
Hi folks,

I finally got the file from my recent premiere performance of this work, so I thought I'd post it.

Performance notes:
A humoresque is a musical work that evokes a humorous mood or effect, typically in the form or musical structure of a dance.

Sept Petits Humoresques ("seven little humoresques") was inspired both by a previous successful work by the composer for a quartet of like instruments, and the coincidental purchase of a Cor Anglais (referred to in the U.S. as an English Horn) by the composer for his own use.

The seven movements range from the overtly comical (Burlesque), the mockingly serious (the three Valses), the overly dramatic (Tango), and the tenderly ironic (Sicilienne), with the final Galop reprising them all.

The English Horn quartet is an unique ensemble with no other literature known in the repertoire. Of particular interest in today's performance will be the rarely heard Bass Oboe, the largest member of the oboe family, joining the ensemble for the fifth humoresque (Sicilienne).

Links to the performance files:

I. Burlesque
II. Petite valse
III. Tango
IV. Plus petite valse
V. Sicilienne
VI. La Plus petite valse
VII. Galop

The performance went fairly well, though everyone in the ensembleh had reed issues due to a sudden weather change the day prior to the performance (mostly noticeable in the first 3 movements). We have a follow up performance in July which should net a better recording.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 10:44:41 PM by flint »
"Music is like wine; the less you know about it, the sweeter you like it." - Robertson Davies

mjf1947

• Administrator
Re: Sept Petits Humoresques (por quator de cor anglais)
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 12:52:40 PM »

The performance went fairly well, though everyone in the ensembleh had reed issues due to a sudden weather change the day prior to the performance (mostly noticeable in the first 3 movements).

The double reed players lament~!   :'(

I know it all too well~!

There is no such thing as a good reed only the best of the worse.

Mark

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
Re: Sept Petits Humoresques (pour quatuor de cor anglais)
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 09:34:09 AM »
I've already told you how much I admired this piece, and am glad to see you posting it here.
(P.S. "pour" and "quatuor" in the thread title)
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

RJB54

Re: Sept Petits Humoresques (pour quatour de cor anglais)
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2019, 07:50:50 AM »
I liked these when they were originally posted. Its nice to hear a live performance (even with the reed issues  :().
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa