Author Topic: Metamorphosis01  (Read 3081 times)

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
Re: Metamorphosis01
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2019, 02:59:13 PM »
very beautiful.
it's quite a powerful work.

I noticed two minor things I'd suggest taking a look at:

measure 16, the B natural in the viola is unsatisfying after that lovely Bb in measure 15. You want to keep that richness in the harmony until what would normally have been the resolution at measure 18 or 19.
the difficulty here is that with very rich harmony it becomes crucial to watch exactly where you pare it down to a simpler harmony, so that it doesn't feel out of place.

measure 300, the bass pizz that lands on A at the same time as violin 1... it really SOUNDS that unison strongly after what preceded. Maybe a B instead of the A in the bass? Look at possibilities for avoiding that unison there, it cuts the richness of the harmony and counterpoint.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

RJB54

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2019, 05:05:01 PM »
Michel, thanks. I'll look into the spots you've mentioned.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

whitebark

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2019, 05:29:35 PM »
I enjoyed listening to your Metamorphosis, Robert.  The music creates so many different moods as it proceeds from one variation to next -- ranging from sentimental, folksy, to tremendously energetic. Good string writing with rich, complex harmonies.

There are sure some high notes in the bass part in pages 30 -32, especially that E flat ... but today's bass players can do just about anything, I think. Use of tenor clef is unnecessary on page 37 (personally I hate seeing tenor clef in bass parts, but that's because I don't see it much in the music that I play).  I've also seen treble clef used in bass parts. For some reason that seems more readable than the tenor clef.

All those artificial harmonics in the adagietto will get some attention...definitely that is expert level stuff for bassists.

-Jay

RJB54

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2019, 05:43:28 PM »
Jay, thanks.

Regarding the difficulty, as I've said many times before, and will again I'm sure, I write to professional level, not student or amateur.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

RJB54

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2019, 06:03:25 AM »
Jay,

Now that I think on it are you saying that nowadays bass parts usually don't use the tenor clef and simply switch between bass and treble clef?
Frank Zappa

whitebark

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2019, 11:34:22 AM »
I don't think there are any hard and fast rules about using tenor and treble clefs in bass parts.  In the standard  orchestral literature, the use of either clef is unusual and will surprise lesser skilled bassists.  Personally I dislike seeing the tenor clef, but I've seen both used in my parts, although usually not for long.

Minimizing clef changes is always a good idea, as it is easy to miss them when you are busy playing the music.  That would suggest that the best strategy is to keep the music in the bass clef as long as possible, then switching to treble clef when the ledger lines get excessive (above the high A above middle C).

However, any expert bassist will have no trouble with your usage of the tenor clef.

-Jay
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 11:43:48 AM by whitebark »

RJB54

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2019, 11:59:09 AM »
OK, thanks.
Frank Zappa

sandalwood

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2019, 06:08:11 PM »
Wow! Michel is right, this is powerful. It is stately. I'm humbled, really, by the breadth of imagination and craft. I certainly would pay to be there when this is performed :)

RJB54

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2019, 08:15:03 PM »
Thank you very much.
Frank Zappa