Author Topic: String Quartet  (Read 40 times)

mjf1947

• Administrator
String Quartet
« on: March 15, 2019, 08:07:41 PM »
As you know from recent posts - I've been looking at older works from years ago - and giving them a new look.

Here's a string quartet ..... some minor changes in a few note placements, rhythms, and articulations.  However, the work pretty much stands on its own.

Comments always welcome.

Mark

PS: This one has no "name" or "vision" attached to it.  Just like the music.

RJB54

Re: String Quartet
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2019, 09:06:20 AM »
I think that this is a nice sketch. It could be the start of a fine work. I would recommend you that you think on expanding on and developing the material for each section. You have a nice arch form established so expand on it and turn it into a substantial piece.

Your echoes in the violins as in bars 18 and 19 and elsewhere might work better if the echo in Vln2 was not the exact same pitches as in Vln1. If you move the Vln2 echo to be based on a different chordal pitch you'll have a more interesting effect.

Regarding the 3/4 part, I personally have never understood the idea of having the way the music sounds be different from the way the music is notated. Why have the music noted in a way where what sounds like the downbeat is notated as the upbeat of beat 3? This isn't a knock on you, I feel the same way when Beethoven does it.

I think the 7/4 section is the least formed at the moment. To me there seems to be a lack of a clearly delineated or distinctive motive here, just some rhythmic interplay (which is cool, as I've said before, asymmetrical stuff is right up my alley).

As I said, I think this is a good start on what could be a fine one movement quartet.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

mjf1947

• Administrator
Re: String Quartet
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2019, 09:51:11 AM »
I think that this is a nice sketch. It could be the start of a fine work. I would recommend you that you think on expanding on and developing the material for each section. You have a nice arch form established so expand on it and turn it into a substantial piece.

Your echoes in the violins as in bars 18 and 19 and elsewhere might work better if the echo in Vln2 was not the exact same pitches as in Vln1. If you move the Vln2 echo to be based on a different chordal pitch you'll have a more interesting effect.

Regarding the 3/4 part, I personally have never understood the idea of having the way the music sounds be different from the way the music is notated. Why have the music noted in a way where what sounds like the downbeat is notated as the upbeat of beat 3? This isn't a knock on you, I feel the same way when Beethoven does it.

I think the 7/4 section is the least formed at the moment. To me there seems to be a lack of a clearly delineated or distinctive motive here, just some rhythmic interplay (which is cool, as I've said before, asymmetrical stuff is right up my alley).

As I said, I think this is a good start on what could be a fine one movement quartet.

Thanks for the thoughtful review and suggestions.

Please note - I already adjusted the measures you mentioned.  This could be the next project for myself and mentor. 

Mark

PS: My mentor also mentioned Beethoven .... I will attend to the second theme too.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 01:51:22 PM by mjf1947 »