Author Topic: Staff Order In Atypical Score  (Read 80 times)

RJB54

Staff Order In Atypical Score
« on: March 06, 2019, 05:48:19 AM »
I am currently working on a piece for Solo Violin, Winds, and Percussion. The Solo Violin is the featured instrument, that is, the piece is for Violin supported by winds and percussion.

My question is, where should the violin staff go? Should it be at the bottom in its normal orchestral position or should it go at the top as the featured soloist?
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
Re: Staff Order In Atypical Score
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 06:10:34 AM »
under normal circumstances, a soloist of any sort goes between the string section and whatever is above (percussion, brass, woodwinds).

how large are you talking with "winds"?
my memory is starting to fail me, because I remember seeing a work for viola a concert band, and for the life of me, cannot remember whether the soloist was above everything, or below it all. Part of me wants to say "between the percussion and the winds/brass".

if it's a chamber grouping, then it's probably ok to place the soloist above.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

RJB54

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 06:15:22 AM »
Right now I am envisioning an ensemble of Flute, Oboe, English Horn, Clarinet, Bass Clarinet, Alto Sax, Bassoon, 2 Horns, 1 pitched percussion (vibes and marimba), and 1 non-pitched percussion.

To me, it would make sense for the featured violin to be at the top, but the engraving 'rules' don't always make sense.

Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 08:24:25 AM »
IF the violin really is a soloist (ie: like in a concerto) and not just "having prominent lines" (like the famous flute solo in Daphnis et Chloé), then place it at the top of this ensemble.

NOT connected to other staves with a bracket (ie: barlines break between staves of each system).

I'd put percussion at the bottom.

"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

RJB54

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 10:33:15 AM »
OK. That's what I was leaning towards. Thanks for confirming.
Frank Zappa