Author Topic: Garritan Library  (Read 887 times)

mjf1947

• Administrator
Garritan Library
« on: February 27, 2019, 03:37:40 PM »
Hi all,

I am not happy with the Garritan Music Library included with Finale 2012.

What other alternatives are out there which might offer a more realistic playback?

I especially do not like the Brass.

I find it hard to determine whether the quality of sound I experience is the library or my particular arrangements.

Mark

RJB54

Re: Garritan Library
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 04:29:11 PM »
I primarily use the Garritan Personal Orchestra 5 (GPO5). I use all of the GPO5 instruments except for the section strings. For those I use the Garritan For Finale section strings as I think they sound better.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 05:35:21 PM »
playing around with the reverb settings makes a huge difference.
if the sound is too dry, even the best library will sound like crap.

I also use the full version of GPO, but I add some XSamples here and there, and do have VSL now though I haven't used it much yet.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

Ron

• Administrator
    • The Music of Ronald J Brown
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 05:39:20 PM »
I use GPO5 for everything except strings for which I use GPO4. It is very frustrating that MakeMusic has not addressed the many serious issues with the Garritan samples despite years of complaints and sympathetic notes from the support staff.
Ron
Rules? What rules?

gogreen

• Art on Facebook
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 07:18:23 PM »
I agree with Michel on this one. Without reverb, all my Garritan library samples sound horrible. I most often use the convolution reverb with its traditional symphonic concert hall preset. I set the reverb at about the 12 noon or 1 o'clock position. Remember to uncheck the ambience setting but do check the bypass settings for each bank and the bypass master effects setting next to master effects.

Art

mjf1947

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2019, 05:10:08 AM »
Thanks all - for the suggestions!

Mark

sandalwood

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2019, 10:48:22 AM »

Mark, I think I understand your frustration. Working on the Latin piece I had to use Trumpet1Player1 for all 3 of the trumpets in the piece. Of all the GPO, Project SAM trumpets and their many derivatives it was the only one not sounding funny or pathetic.

As I understand, even the most expensive libraries call for some ad hoc adjustment and tweaking to sound good in a specific project. My complaint is that the tools for such adjustment in all libraries are designed primarily with people using these libraries via a midi keyboard in mind and not people working with notation programs. Notation program friendly versions are, as I understand, generally dumbed down versions of the real things, coming with some simplified presets.

Here is an link to a previous informative post in a Finale forum on tweaking HP settings to get the most out of Garritan Strings

https://makemusic.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/115000842467-GPO-5-String-KS-not-working?page=1#community_comment_115003728328

There was a similar one about EQ, Reverb taming of Garritan trumpets but I couldn't find it quickly.

VSL (a comprehensive library with excellent samples and prima reverbs etc, as I understand) is said to have a special edition with presets which allows it to be used with Finale but it is not without problems, as I can remember reading in various places.

Then, there is the Noteperformer which is said to work seamlessly with Finale now. I would love to hear several demos with Finale, encompassing various solos and ensembles.

I believe it is our Bill Reed who is an authority on all such topics.

Ron

• Administrator
    • The Music of Ronald J Brown
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2019, 11:11:23 AM »
Good grief! I just read through the MakeMusic link provided. I would have to set aside at least two days to work through the instructions to get GPO5 strings to play back correctly--with no guarantee that it will work after all that effort. (The reason I don't use GPO5 strings is because shortly after beginning playback they all start playing staccato and when I asked MM for help their "solution" was to use GPO4 strings.)

They could easily fix this by assigning a developer to the task. It would probably take him/her only a day or two, but they won't assign anyone. The same with percussion samples--the basic volume needs to be boosted. How long would it take a developer to do that? But they haven't been able to assign anyone to this simple task for more than 10 years now. When I worked in software development we would never have tolerated this. If my boss wouldn't authorize the time to fix an elementary problem, then I'd come in on the weekend or stay late one evening and just do it. All my boss would know is that customers stopped complaining and he would probably congratulate himself on his brilliant leadership skills.

(Yes, I am grumpy--I've earned it!)
Ron
Rules? What rules?

Jerry Engelbach

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2019, 01:58:10 PM »

Yes, I've had some correspondence with Brian Roland. He's pretty knowledgeable, but his technical expertise is over my head.

I have a different problem with GPO5, but since this thread has opened up ...

I cannot get harp glissandos to play properly with the GPO5 Concert Harp. Applying a glis cuts all the sound out of Finale 26 and I have to restart the program.

I have no problem with the harp in Garritan Instruments for Finale, so that's what I use.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
GPO 5
JABB 3
iMac Mojave