Author Topic: Composition Topic of the Month Questions  (Read 634 times)

perpetuo studens

• Administrator
Composition Topic of the Month Questions
« on: October 27, 2019, 01:18:02 PM »
Since Mark and I took over as administrators about a year ago Reha has been providing us with interesting topics for discussion every month. When he agreed to take on this responsibility it was always the intention that everyone would feel free to submit questions, but that he would have one ready in case no-one stepped forward.

So this is just a little reminder that the Composition Topic of the Month is an ongoing group project and that all are welcome to post a question on or around the first of the month - first cone first served. Reha will continue to post one of his excellent topics on the third if no-one else has posted.

Reha and I have also had a little discussion about the possibility of creating some process around having a store of submitted questions to draw on, so any suggestions along this line would be most welcome.

Jamie
The perceived object...is not a sum of elements to be distinguished from each other and analyzed discretely, but a pattern, that is to say a form, a structure: the element's existence does not precede the existence of the whole, it comes neither before nor after it, for the parts do not determine the pattern, but the pattern determines the parts: knowledge of the pattern and of its laws, of the set and its structure, could not possibly be derived from discrete knowledge of the elements that compose it.

That means that you can look at a piece of a puzzle for three whole days, you can believe that you know all there is to know about its colouring and its shape, and be no further ahead than when you started. The only thing that counts is the ability to link this piece to other pieces...

Georges Perec - Life: A User's Manual

gogreen

• Art on Facebook
Re: Composition Topic of the Month Questions
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2019, 02:17:35 PM »
Does it have to be only one topic each month? How about allowing any number of meaty topics when anyone wants to toss one out? I'd then suggest changing the forum name to "Composition Topics of the Month," or just "Composition Topics."

perpetuo studens

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2019, 06:39:23 PM »
I think this is a great idea Art. What do others think?

Jamie
The perceived object...is not a sum of elements to be distinguished from each other and analyzed discretely, but a pattern, that is to say a form, a structure: the element's existence does not precede the existence of the whole, it comes neither before nor after it, for the parts do not determine the pattern, but the pattern determines the parts: knowledge of the pattern and of its laws, of the set and its structure, could not possibly be derived from discrete knowledge of the elements that compose it.

That means that you can look at a piece of a puzzle for three whole days, you can believe that you know all there is to know about its colouring and its shape, and be no further ahead than when you started. The only thing that counts is the ability to link this piece to other pieces...

tbmartin

• TerenceMartinSaxArranger
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2019, 12:20:03 PM »
Does it have to be only one topic each month? How about allowing any number of meaty topics when anyone wants to toss one out? I'd then suggest changing the forum name to "Composition Topics of the Month," or just "Composition Topics."

My concern is that if we flood the market with lots of topic, we run the risk of fatigue and some really interesting topics will get fewer responses. I wouldn't mind 2/month, but i think there's value in spacing them out because you're more likely to get answers as people stew and chew on the topic, rather than it being lost in the next question thrown on top.
Terence Martin

Tools: Finale 2003 on Windows XP
Day job: Actuary
Composing/Arranging output: mostly sax quartets
http://bit.ly/TerenceMartinSaxArranger
Goal: Improve quantity and quality of concert band compositions.
Play: Saxophones (all, but tenor primary), Bass Clarinet, Piano (poorly)

perpetuo studens

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2019, 04:54:46 PM »
This is a reasonable concern. What do others think?