Author Topic: "The Forest Primeval," fairly easy concert band piece  (Read 529 times)

gogreen

• Art on Facebook
"The Forest Primeval," fairly easy concert band piece
« on: February 16, 2019, 09:03:53 AM »
“The Forest Primeval” is a fairly easy change-of-pace piece, mostly in 5/4 time. The piece pays tribute to the old-growth forest stands of the East Coast, the West Coast’s redwood forests, and all of North America’s old-growth forests--precious natural resources.

From my director notes:

“The Forest Primeval” begins with a birdsong-like flute soli as first light spreads over the treetops. Then, among massive tree trunks, the sun’s rays brighten a misty summer morning. In a contrasting lively round-like section, the piece builds to a midday crescendo of sunlight and wildlife activity. The work then quiets and ends serenely as fading light, sunset, and darkness re-engulf the woods.

Comments welcome.

MP3
https://app.box.com/s/v89n6f5la7qewf2g900v8vwnmuf348po

Score
https://app.box.com/s/99pwelbei0xj6xahzfk3ghk6rgyv2o4y

Jerry Engelbach

Re: "The Forest Primeval," fairly easy concert band piece
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 10:55:47 AM »
Amazingly beautiful, Arthur.

Your themes are gorgeous and your part-writing and instrumental scoring deep and moving.

I did, however, expect to hear some reiteration of the first theme. I think dying out at the end is less effective than it could have been.

If I played a horn I'd be thrilled to perform it.

Cheers,
Jer
Finale 26
NP3
GPO 5
JABB 3
iMac Mojave

sandalwood

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 01:00:05 PM »
I liked the middle section most. Very well crafted and enjoyable, in my opinion.

gogreen

• Art on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 03:20:11 PM »
@ Jerry: Thanks, Jerry, for your comments. I'll consider your suggestion. Much appreciated!

@ sandalwood: Thanks!

Art

RJB54

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2019, 07:51:00 AM »
Art,

As always with your work a nice piece which I'm sure the students will find fun to play. Plus, as I have repeatedly said, any piece in asymmetrical meters always gets a big thumbs up from me. I think it's a good idea to expose the student player to such meters.

I have a question though. Nowadays, actually for quite some time, it has been standard practice to not use double bar lines when there is a change in meter. The double bar line is a common-practice convention which is no longer followed. Have you used them here for a pedagogical reason?
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

gogreen

• Art on Facebook
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 12:49:53 PM »
I suppose the double barline at the meter change could be a useful signal to young players that the time signature is changing. But just as getting them used to odd meters early is a good idea, so is getting them used to current notation practices. For this reason, I'm removing the double barlines at the meter changes. Thanks for asking--and for this reminder!

Art

mjw58

• MJW MUSIC
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2019, 01:31:05 PM »

Art, once again a lovely piece.   :)

As always you have a way of writing interesting music. And the use of mixed meters makes it even more interesting.
I found myself wanting the themes to be longer.  Maybe you could expand them a bit more? Just a feeling I had when listening to it.  :)
And I perhaps expected the 1st theme to return.

Thank you for sharing.

Morten
Compositions: Wind band, Brass band and Fanfare
Platform: Windows 10
Notation: Finale 25
DAW: Cubase 8
Instrument: Bassoon, Euphonium
Day Job: TEGG Technician

gogreen

• Art on Facebook
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2019, 05:50:13 AM »
Him Morten. Thanks for your comments.

Maybe you could expand them a bit more?

Do you mean make them longer in measures, or reiterate them more? Or both?

Thanks again.

Art

mjw58

• MJW MUSIC
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2019, 05:45:55 AM »

Art.

This is just me trying to convey, in perhaps somewhat limited English vocabulary, what I felt listening to your piece.  :)

What I was trying to say was that I felt the first theme ended to quickly for me. I was really enjoying this but when I got to bar 14, I was expecting perhaps further development before you return to what you have written in bar 14. Perhaps something that leads to a F or FF.

I liked the transition in bar 18 to 22.

I also like the way you use the motif in bar 25-26 several times in different groups. It makes the music flow.  :)

This piece takes me back to when I was conducting a school band. It would have been a fantastic piece to use when introducing different meters.

Hope my comments make any sense to you.  :)

Morten
Compositions: Wind band, Brass band and Fanfare
Platform: Windows 10
Notation: Finale 25
DAW: Cubase 8
Instrument: Bassoon, Euphonium
Day Job: TEGG Technician

gogreen

• Art on Facebook
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2019, 03:30:35 PM »
OK, Morten. Thanks. Yes, your comments make perfect sense to me--and they're much appreciated. When I'm back at my computer I'll give them a thorough look. Thanks again.

Art