Author Topic: Concerto Grosso opus 48, complete  (Read 357 times)

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
  • B.FA (composition) M.Mus (composition)
    • Les Éditions du Dos Blanc
Re: Concerto Grosso opus 48, complete
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2019, 11:30:29 AM »
The Gigue is delightful. 
I love it's light hearted positive vibe and flows effortlessly~!

Mark

Once again I really enjoyed the use of a strategic placement of Pizz. in your works.

Thank-you, sorry I didn't respond personally.

I really was going for a happy, positive, upbeat finale. The concerto should probably have had a title like "Concerto di celebrazione" or something.
Glad you enjoyed the pizz :-)
I like the slightly syncopated "3 quarters in the space of 2 dotted wuarters" pizzes.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2019, 02:00:50 PM »
I'll be reposting audio for the 2nd and 3rd movements.
I've finally gotten around to making a Finale playback file using my better sample libraries (XSample and the two solo string libraries by Garritan: solo Strad and solo Gofriller).

give me a few hours it should be up later today. and it sounds MUCH better... with one minor exception: I can't get my solo instruments to play back fingered tremolos without hiccups and accents in the playback. So I've had to reduce those sections to just held notes covering the musical space that was supposed to be covered by the tremolo.
"Writing music to be revolutionary is like cooking to be famous: Music’s main function is not revolution. – Alan Belkin "

"Saying something new about something old is still saying something new. – Jamie Kowalski"

RJB54

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2019, 04:57:03 PM »
...I can't get my solo instruments to play back fingered tremolos without hiccups and accents in the playback.
I also could never get the fingered tremolos to work properly so I just never use them even in places I would like to.

I also have problems sometimes with trills. If I have notated a trill on multiple notes which are tied together, sometimes Finale will play the trill properly on the first note (I.E., playing the main note and the trill note (the note a half or full step higher, as appropriate)), but then on the second note it will play the first trill note instead of the main note and the note a half of full step higher (as appropriate) of the trill note). I can't figure out why or how to stop Finale from doing it so I just post the music with Finale's mistake.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.
Frank Zappa

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2019, 06:55:32 PM »
so far I've had no real playback issues with Finale 25, but to use my better-sounding libraries (like the Strad and Gofriller) I have to go back to Finale 2012. And THAT version of Finale had a lot of playback issues (for me).

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2019, 01:57:59 PM »
I've updated the 2nd and 3rd movement recordings.
They now use the solo Strad and Gofriller libraries, as well as XSamples for the solo string sections in the orchestra.

Still not perfect, but then, nothing compares to hearing the live orchestra play it.

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2019, 07:10:14 AM »
Listening to the recording for the CD  makes me notice something interesting: it's a VERY small string section, but produces a VERY big sound.

Take away the solo quartet and you have four 1st violins, four 2nd violins, three violas, three cellos, and the two contrabasses.

It's truly amazing what a good, solid, small group can accomplish.

Jamie Kowalski

• All Hands Music
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2019, 06:25:16 AM »
Quite beautiful, Michel!

Michel.R.E

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2019, 06:26:08 AM »
Thank-you Jamie  :)